Indonesian short sword

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by NaptownFTW, Aug 15, 2022.

1. NaptownFTW

NaptownFTW Active Member

C4C9A059-922A-45B4-B958-57C34FB614AC.jpeg DF52DAAA-2485-449E-A1FD-AC80F1D0E2DE.jpeg FF1128B1-9DFB-4DCB-9FE7-74CBBCE54600.jpeg A957FB4D-3535-487A-BE85-4C4AF8A15E14.jpeg 5E697CE3-2795-4BF8-8646-772794029C6D.jpeg I got this in a group with a couple other older edged weapons. Single ground edge, wooden guard, copper band below guard. Overall length is 27”.

It kind of looks like a luwuk, but I think that’s not quite right. Is anyone able to identify more exactly than Indonesia?

wlwhittier and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You're right, it isn't a luwuk. Luwuks have straight blades. It is not a pedang either.
    I wonder if it is from Sumatra, maybe Nias?
    The blade looks a bit like a yataghan blade. The yataghan, originally Turkish, is also found on Sumatra.
    @komokwa ?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

my 1st thought would be a type of Golok......but I need to consider others..

Any Jewelry and NaptownFTW like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Maybe a yataghan blade with a golok type hilt, although that general hilt shape is seen on a number of weapons. Rarely this stylised though.

NaptownFTW and komokwa like this.
  5. komokwa

I've come down on the side of a Panay Island Ginunting ...
    a traditional Philipino sword.
    Though it seems to be sporting a newer Talibong pommel.
    The blade style is seen on the 2nd from the top.

[​IMG]
    attribution...the ROM...

Swords are described in the first Spanish accounts, accounting the death of Magellan. The native Filipinos used bamboo spears, at times with iron points, and shields; but in the final assault used curved swords. The names of Filipino swords vary across the islands, and examination of the literature will give different names to the same weapon, and attribute different origins to weapons that look the same. For instance the machete-like bolo is also a sundáng, binangon,talibong, or an iták while sometimes it seems names can be put together, for instance the lion-headed tenegre sword might also be called a bolo because of the blade.

6. NaptownFTW

NaptownFTW Active Member

Thanks for the help @Any Jewelry . @komokwa That Philippine blade shape does look very similar, but looks to have a V or maybe a convex grind edge. Do you know if that blade style was made with a single grind?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. komokwa

sorry, I've never had the pleasure of holding one..

8. NaptownFTW

NaptownFTW Active Member

I did more research ginunting. Chisel ground edges are not uncommon in the western Visayas area. The best I can figure is it’s a Pinay ginunting with a binukay carved grip.

komokwa likes this.
  9. komokwa

sometimes these short swords can be real tough to pin down, when made by local craftsmen....as opposed to say an armoury ..

Draft saved Draft deleted