Featured Info about this English silver flip pendant/fob, please

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by bluumz, Nov 19, 2018.

1. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Please excuse me if I asked about this before, I have so many unknown little bit and pieces and this one just recently resurfaced.

This little piece is 1.25 inches long. The silver marks of anchor, fancy letter p, and lion (all three in cut-corner rectangles) indicates Birmingham 1889. There is no sovereign head duty mark, though it could have been located right where the swivel arm join is. There is also a long makers mark which, after much squinting and research, I have determined reads F.W.T.T. for Frederick William Tomkins Turton, about whom I can find virtually nothing.
    I believe the flat side of this piece may be carnelian stone. I have no idea about the other side. Garnet? I know those were popular in Victorian times. I have no way of testing it.
    So, pendant or fob? Stone types? Opinions are welcome!
    (Sorry, I can't get a better photo of the marks with my old phone camera.)

7FF84764-80A1-404E-B0E8-2BA2B016724C.jpeg 88BB0788-370C-4920-9166-29C94968989D.jpeg 2520A0D6-CC71-434B-B5EE-F9D84B5B6C88.jpeg 8534121A-8035-4E5E-BA09-9AE08DBDC9A2.jpeg DB18C855-38B8-4065-98F9-BDC8E3833678.jpeg 886B4931-02D7-401A-8137-DDDBB53DE775.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Watch fob for a chain. Carnelian and topaz.

3. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Wow, I've never heard of red topaz, thanks!
    What is it about the stone that indicates red topaz?

(Is this possibly a woo-hoo item?)

pearlsnblume, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

I'm not seeing red, but rather a deep orange: might be reflection from the carnelian.

5. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Definitely red to the naked eye. I think the orange cast is reflected from the light in my home. I'm in a sunny room with yellow walls.

EDIT: But no pinkish cast at all. Just plain red to my eye.

pearlsnblume, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  6. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Photos taken in a room with whiter light:

9DC64AE6-0A00-4E82-B86A-D3BE010DEA33.jpeg 00418CA9-3A99-4773-B509-8DAD2D3B5CEA.jpeg

pearlsnblume and Bronwen like this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Really nice. Designed to be a fob seal but the carnelian was never engraved. Given the color of the faceted stone, I have to think glass. Given the excellent condition of all parts, have to think this has never seen any actual wear as a fob. It's a pendant now.

BTW, if it were the orange-y color, I would guess spessartite garnet.

kyratango, Any Jewelry and bluumz like this.
  8. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Hmmm, "just" glass. No woo-hoo after all, LOL!

9. Ownedbybear

I'd agree on glass - probably Bohemian. The orangey ones here are usually Cairngorm type topaz.

KikoBlueEyes, kyratango and bluumz like this.
  10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I have always understood cairngorm to be smoky or orange-y shades of quartz named for the region where it is found? Maybe there has come to be confusion in the terminology because smoky quartz used in jewellery is sometimes, incorrectly, called smoky topaz?

KikoBlueEyes, bluumz and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Lovely, bluumz.
    Yes and yes.:) Various stones from 'the Cairngorms' (name of a part of the Scottish Highlands). Cairngorms can also be citrines.

12. Ownedbybear

Cairngorm is never properly used to describe smoky stones here, it's kept for the clear orangey or yellowy ones, or veering to brownish. Some jewellery called Cairngorm set actually has citrines, of course. There's more conflation of those - citrine and Cairngorm - that I've come across. I've also known dark topazes to be called smoky, when they're not.

Bronwen, Any Jewelry and bluumz like this.
  13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'll plump for glass on this one too, late to the party or not; those facets are rounded. Stones from this era would be sharp, so this is a molded piece. A natural clear red rock that size would be $$$$$ - and never would have been set in silver at that time. It would have been in gold.

14. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Yep, the facets are definitely not sharp. The surface is very smooth.

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

get thee to a gemologist........;):):)

Bronwen and bluumz like this.
  16. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

There is modern "red" topaz,but it is all treated by some method.

Bronwen likes this.
  17. We tend to call these swivel fobs
    The red stone is unusual - it’s more likely to see both sides being some form of agate / carnelian / bloodstone Etc like you see set on the one side

Made me question if the red stone is original to this ? - I guess it possibly could be ??

They get used often as watch fobs / pendants / and sometimes even charms on vintage charm bracelets

Any Jewelry, bluumz, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  18. Ownedbybear

i need help likes this.
  19. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Maybe you can get a clear picture of the marks. I don’t see Frederick William Tomkins Turton making jewelry.

20. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Interesting insight

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted