info about this huge old oriental vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Gianluca72, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Gianluca72

Gianluca72 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone.

I would like to take advantage of your help to receive some information about this huge old oriental vase, cm 63 tall .
    I'd like to identify it to create a good description.
    Thank you all for your answers.

Gian

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Christmasjoy and scoutshouse like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the trim, and design work...is sloppy at best......
    I see no age here..........

3. Gianluca72

??? excuse me i dont understand as well , you think that this vase is modern ? It's trimmed with gold check all the photos please, could you please let me know if this vase is chinese or japanese by your point of view ? Thanks

scoutshouse likes this.
  4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Brand new unfortunately. Pretty,but mass produced Chinese would be my guess.Asian arts are a minefield at best.Theyve been making the same style,often the same exact way,for 2000 years so you really have to know your stuff to deal in it.

5. Gianluca72

scoutshouse likes this.
  6. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

See the yellow flower under the pink one in your enlargement. How the gold lines don't follow the flower lines at all. That makes it look mass produced.

7. komokwa

Trimmed with gold.......so what !
    The handle has gold on it....like someone threw it on...without care.
    Your gold line below it,...runs right thru the design.....with no attention to detail.
    & those little dots...run right into the leaf design...right over the border.

This was made fast.....by cheap labour...for sale to those that know nothing about quality....nothing !!!

upload_2019-1-8_22-9-12.jpeg

8. KikoBlueEyes

With respect to the availability of gold for decorative purposes, I took a picture of this sign at a archeological site in India. Despite the sign, golden foil was everywhere.:playful::playful::playful::playful::playful::playful:
    IMG_1434.jpg

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  9. komokwa

Isn't that some kind of tradition...?

10. KikoBlueEyes

This was an archeological site where a former large Buddhist temple, as well as, a myriad of smaller stupas were once located. Only one huge stupa is still extant and the rest is just pieces of carved stone and foundations made of bricks. Apparently, some Buddhists make the site part of a pilgrimage and stick foil all over these ruins. It is difficult to remove as it is pressed into the bricks and stones. Since there are active temples\stupas, etc everywhere where worship and ceremonies take place, I suppose that the archeologists believe that this site should be preserved for study.

Any Jewelry, Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  11. Silver Wolf

Silver Wolf Well-Known Member

i think the pattern and the images looks like japanese,japanese like to have bird of paradise in their vase,but the handle looks like recent chinese production,so maybe this is recent chinese vase with japanese style,i saw those handle somewhere in ebay in late 20th century vase,but it's smaller than yours and different pattern too,and it's chinese

12. Silver Wolf

13. Silver Wolf

yes,like in myanmar/burma where the people buying gold leaf as an offering before entering the temple

14. Gianluca72

cxgirl and Silver Wolf like this.
  15. Silver Wolf

you're welcome :shame:

cxgirl, kyratango and Gianluca72 like this.
  16. Gianluca72

"so what !"
    "nothing !!!"

I can notice many "exclamation points" but I do not see your answer to my question .... Chinese or Japanese? However, Silverwolf has already fulfilled my curiosity.
    Thanks anyway for your precious time

Silver Wolf likes this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, recently made Chinese, to copy Japanese.
    The general look is Japanese, with a hint of Satsuma, but the quality and the general 'feel' of the piece are mass produced Chinese.

Gian, excellent photos as always.
    The signs to look for to spot lower quality are the overlaps of the decoration, decoration missing in some places where it should be, unfinished base, blobs of glaze on the inside. Those indicate that it was made in a very sloppy way, by someone who was overworked and underpaid.:(

Gold on Chinese made items is applied to make a piece attractive to a certain market. It is not necessarily a sign of quality, but more a decorator's thing.
    That's right, in Thailand and other mainland Southeast Asian Buddhist countries as well. You can buy goldleaf fairly cheaply online too, I have some packets for minor repairs to gilding on keris (of course;)).

18. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

I also struck out on an Oriental vase today, Gianluca72. Poop. Maybe next time we'll have a real treasure.

19. Gianluca72

Thanks AJ :)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  20. Silver Wolf

this summer,i'll going to thailand!looking for some antiques!

Any Jewelry and KikoBlueEyes like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted