INFO? CARVED WOOD NUDE INDIAN BUST w/SMOKING PIPE IN HAIR

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jul 13, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Found this at a local thrift store yesterday. It's a wooden bust of a nude indian - with a tobacco pipe as a pin or adornment in her hair!

Was this part of a cigar store indian? maybe a counter top statue to help with a impulse purchase? (Except -when I finished high school I became partners with a U of Miami professor in a tobacco shop on Miami Beach (he put up the money & I put in the hours running it), and when we looked at store Indians for our shop all the women Indians holding cigars & tobacco leaves were young & beautiful - this lady looks older and … tired).

It's not signed, but it's not factory art, right? Where does the lady look like she's from?

Finally, what's the best way to clean it - look at the back & you can see how beautiful the wood is, but the front & her hair looks like it has dust or something on it??

Thanking you in advance for any help with this one - I'm hoping it's a winner!

PS - It measures 13"H x 9"W and is a lot heavier than it appears.

Thanks again.

ART STATUE INDIAN WITH PIPE IN HAIR 1AAz.jpg ART STATUE INDIAN WITH PIPE IN HAIR 2AAz.jpg ART STATUE INDIAN WITH PIPE IN HAIR 3AAz.jpg ART STATUE INDIAN WITH PIPE IN HAIR 3AAAzzz.jpg ART STATUE INDIAN WITH PIPE IN HAIR 4AAz.jpg ART STATUE INDIAN WITH PIPE IN HAIR 5AAz.jpg

scoutshouse and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Looks like it's from South Pacific/Indonesia area.... @Any Jewelry

3. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Sure doesn't look Native American to me.

scoutshouse, kyratango, judy and 2 others like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Philippines.

Debora

5. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

6. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Not native American at all. Decorative/ souvenir from Phillipines or Indonesia like others said.

scoutshouse, kyratango and judy like this.
  7. journeymagazine

With the pipe in her hair - no ones thinks it was made for a tobacco store?

scoutshouse and judy like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

From Taupou on the link of previous posting:

"The carving depicts a tribal Igorot woman, from Luzon, the Philippines. A search for 'carved wood Igorot woman' will confirm. The traditional style is to show her with her pipe tucked into her headdress."

Debora

9. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

No, no one does.:playful: It was simply the way the Igorot carried their pipes with them. They loved a smoke but had no pockets. It is just like people used to put pipes on their hats.
    [​IMG]

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

With a quick internet image search, you can educate yourself on what an antique cigar store Indian looks like.

Debora

scoutshouse and kyratango like this.
  12. journeymagazine

I had one - but not antique I'll admit.
    Thank you for the help!
    PS - not sure why but I have great difficulty getting a photo into google image to search

scoutshouse and kyratango like this.
  13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Not sure if this will solve a problem but... Enter word/term into Google search bar (such as cigar store Indian) and when results come up, click on "Images" in line below. (Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious; intention not to insult but to help.)

Debora

scoutshouse, Mugzinnys and kyratango like this.
  14. journeymagazine

No worries Debora not insulted, I appreciate the help - when it comes to technology my smart phone is smarter than me!

15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Smartphone? What's a smartphone?

Debora

scoutshouse likes this.
  16. journeymagazine

one that does more than let me - call/answer/read email/google info on something :)

scoutshouse likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted