Info/idea of value of this 19th century frame?

Discussion in 'Art' started by statcat, Oct 18, 2018.

1. statcat

statcat Active Member

Impressive frame that is 40 x 46 inches total size; very big and heavy. I'm assuming 19th century European?

http://cubeupload.com/codes/5ddb11

I'm in the NYC-NJ area so I'm assuming my best bet to sell this would be in NYC? It really would suit an antique oil painting but I don't have the right one for it.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  2. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

Here are two of your photos. Some folks won't click on outside links, especially if it's not a more well known site like imgur.

Best to just upload the files right to your thread. If you get a message that they are too big, you can resize them down a bit using photo resizing sites.

You might want to take some photos of the back too to show the construction, and I would take pictures against a more plain background...the bricks kind of add too much detail to the picture.

That said, I don't know anything about frames, but someone will be along to help. Hope you don't mind my suggestions.

IMG1540.jpg IMG1537.jpg

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

It is a nice one and condition looks really good. Would not discount this being American, late 19th century. Should be worth several hundred but it is an odd size. I know in my market here in the Midwest, I would be lucky to get $100.00. You should be able to get more in yours.

kyratango, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  4. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Lovely frame, agree it would be helpful to see the back.

5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That would look brilliant with a mirror in it.

7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

What are the measurements of the area where a painting/mirror would be visible? One of the ways I sometimes make a guess about whether something was made in America or Europe is by whether measurements are odd in English measure but precise in metric or the other way around.

8. statcat

statcat Active Member

wow only a $100 and you'd be lucky to get that? This is handmade and antique. You'd pay a $100 or more for custom framing junk from Michaels.

9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I know …. my market really stinks when it comes to so-called good things. Hard to get more than $100.00 for anything here.

kyratango likes this.
  10. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

That's really a shame. :(

judy and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted