Info on a maker called Bow?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by carolgal, Jul 22, 2019.

1. carolgal

carolgal Well-Known Member

hello, your site is a great find. I wonder if you can help me with a couple of vases which I can't trace, the back-stamp seems to be BOW. They seem quite old. There is a windmill and a Dutch looking man but I don't think they are Dutch. vase 1.png 3.png 2.png Any ideas value, company? many thanks.

2. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Welcome carolgal - To me they look English but it's not my area of expertise. Some of our international friends may be able to help. We have members all over the world so keep checking back for new information.
    Don

carolgal and judy like this.
  3. carolgal

Yes, that's what I thought too. Thanks for replying, my first post and I was not sure if I did it right. Cheers, Carol

judy likes this.
  4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Figtree3, carolgal, judy and 2 others like this.
  5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

mmmm...Don't think it's that Bow.

kentworld, judy and Bakersgma like this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I'm surprised you posted that link, Davey. The company described in that article closed in 1776.

judy likes this.
  7. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

carolgal, judy and i need help like this.
  8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Is this airbrushed?

judy likes this.
  9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

It's clear from the colorway and decor style that those just posted are by the same maker/decorator as the OP's vase. But making the leap back to the much earlier Bow, I can't justify.

10. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I agree with Bakersgma. I thought first quarter 20th century.
    Don

11. carolgal

Thank you all so much for identifying the vases, Davey, they are exactly the same as the ones on Ebay bar the design. I had searched Ebay etc but the ones you showed did not come up just some very ornate ones which seemed quite different. And so interesting to see the history of the company, I had no idea Ireland was involved in porcelain so early so I thought they may be British, delighted. The only difference seems to be that the bottom is glazed whereas the early ones I have found now don't seem to be so maybe a later make. I have a small site on Etsy and just love it but sometimes get stuck on something and spend literally days searching without success. I am delighted, these have been hanging around for months and I put them up for sale for 20 quid to get rid of them!!!!! (quickly removed now while I have a think:) Very grateful indeed. I know a little about a lot, so wonderful to find this site. Thank you all!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It is definitely not "the" Bow. That was wonderful fine porcelain and bone china, hand decorated. Rare as hen's teeth too. This vase is transfer print pottery with air brushing, and a bit of hand embellishment.

Yours is 1910s to 20s, and the BOW is a pattern/shape name. I'm trying to remember who did those swallows on the Ebay ones, but my brain is too hot. Dutch motifs were common here in the early 20th. Anyhow, it's one of the Staffordshire makers. (Beswick?)

That Ebay seller is,shall we say, optimistic. Or deranged, not sure which. I've seen similar vases here for about the fifteen quid mark and I'd expect to pay five to ten for a pair at a car boot. Sorry!

13. carolgal

That’s ok, I don’t mind about the price, will try for 30 quid. The value for me was finding out what the damn things were, I have a pair. And finding this site wowie!!! Now for my other exhaustively researched mysteries...

Any Jewelry and Ownedbybear like this.
  14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Bring them on, we like mysteries

carolgal likes this.
  15. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Unless I'm missing something, you still haven't found out who made them.

Bakersgma likes this.
  16. carolgal

Well no, but hey they are not 'treasure' so I can let them go and move on.... I think what bear said fits, they are a nice shape but transfer printed fits okay and quality not fine. So I'm happy with that. Can sell as two oldish vases with bow on the bottom rather than claiming they are made by bow. Would hate that:)

dgbjwc likes this.
  17. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry likes this.
  18. carolgal

Thanks Don, looks like the same blue all right. Rather than treasure mine are junk eh? Sad though.............age and survival should count for something... in most things:)

Figtree3, Any Jewelry and SBSVC like this.
  19. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I thought they were rather attractive when I bought them but my taste can be a little offbeat. Rather than junk I prefer to think of them as "out of fashion at the moment". ;)
    Don

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  20. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Carol, that sentiment brought a smile to my face!

Draft saved Draft deleted