INFO ON CROSS - I WAS TOLD IT'S GIVEN TO A NEW PRIEST, THEY KEEP IT 4 LIFE & THEN ARE BURIED w/IT?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Sep 19, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this a long time ago; it's sat on my mantel until a couple of ladies at my estate sale today asked me how much I wanted for it? I told her I knew nothing about it & didn't want to sell it until I found out. I asked her if she knew anything about it & she told me she thought it was bronze (it is very heavy) and she thought it might be one given to new priests - who keep it their whole life & then are buried with it!
    Is this true?
    Can anyone tell me anything about it?
    It's funny because I never gave it a 2nd thought, I just liked it - but if what she said is true then it's an even more unique piece.
    It measures 13.5" x 7.5" (and a magnet wouldn't stick to it - so it's not metal, right?
    Thank you; I appreciate any help.

COLLECTIBLE RELIGOUS CROSS BRONZE 1AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE RELIGOUS CROSS BRONZE 2AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE RELIGOUS CROSS BRONZE 3AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE RELIGOUS CROSS BRONZE 4AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE RELIGOUS CROSS BRONZE 5AA.JPG

2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Looks like pot metal.

blooey likes this.
  3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Found quite a few on Worthpoint called casket cross or crucifix.

4. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

The simple answer to which metals are attracted to a magnet: iron, cobalt & nickel.

kyratango likes this.
  5. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I told the lady thought it was a casket cross & that's when she told me about a new priest's cross.

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

hearsay.....or heresy ???:happy::eek:

7. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

The Diocese is.....very frugal. I don't see them using bronze on these, it would cost much more to make.

So, I'm with Hollyblue on it being pot metal. It would account for the weight. You could always make a tiny scratch in the back in an inconspicuous place and see what color it turns up. But I think it'd be a wasted effort. That slight iridescence and varied coloration is a dead giveaway that it's plated.

8. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I'm not Catholic so have no idea but I did find this bit on preparation of a priest for burial at one Diocese. It mentions a cross but not where it comes from.

Please let the funeral home know that another crucifix [ordinarily the type used in the lid of the casket] will be needed the day of the funeral. This is placed in the priest's hands by the Bishop and is buried with him.

http://www.dioceseofjoliet.org/siteimages/bishop/Funeral_of_a_PRIEST_-_REVISED_December_2017.pdf

kyratango likes this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Jewish folks are not allowed to be buried with any metal........

pearlsnblume likes this.
  10. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

That's too bad, my friend Paul, who is Jewish, is a HUGE Heavy Metal fan! Does that mean Metallica can't play at his funeral either?

11. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Years ago I remember a friend who was Jewish and in a "camp" was not allowed to be buried in a Jewish cemetery due to his cell number being tattooed on his arm. It turns out the powers to be had his arm surgically operated to remove the tattoo. I wonder if they are still as strict?
    greg

kyratango likes this.
  12. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

So... Hip replacements, dental crowns or pacemakers\stents have to be removed???:wideyed:

komokwa and sabre123 like this.
  13. reader

reader Well-Known Member

No. Contemporary Jews who are not living like they’re in the 17th century in Eastern Europe follow little of that. Most of my friends even have tattoos and YES you can be buried in a Jewish cemetery with a tattoo and no one is going to knock out gold crowns...

The reason that metal is never used on a Jewish coffin is that it won’t decompose and go back to the earth.

14. reader

reader Well-Known Member

That’s crazy. Jewish law does not require that. Tattoos are against Torah but it’s BS that a person cannot be buried in a Jewish cemetery with one. Your friend must have been a member of a very religious sect that by no means is representative of all contemporary Jews.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted