Info on Oriental cups needed. TIA

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kaudet, Oct 30, 2018.

1. kaudet

kaudet Well-Known Member

Hoping someone might be able to give me some info on these Oriental cups. Have several and none are exactly alike because of the hand painting. They are eggshell thin.
    Maker?? Date?? Technique??? Pattern???

Thanks for your input.
    oriental cup 3 MYSTERY.JPG oriental cup 1 MYSTERY.JPG oriental cup 3 MYSTERY.JPG oriental cup mark MYSTERY.JPG

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I don't recognize any of these marks as being distinctly Chinese or Japanese, but based solely on the painting and cup shape, my guess would be Japan. Perhaps @Mat could weigh in.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Dapunnisher

Dapunnisher Active Member

i need help, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Mine would too.

i need help and judy like this.
  5. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Add my vote for Japan. Reminds me very much of geisha ware.
    Don

i need help likes this.
  6. kaudet

kaudet Well-Known Member

Got a reply from reddit. manufactured by Shimamura

7. kaudet

kaudet Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  8. kaudet

kaudet Well-Known Member

If you check out the link above, you will see that information about several Gotheborg Japanese marks is said to be inaccurate.

Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

@Any Jewelry, you can ask them about your Tokoname, maybe.

10. Any Jewelry

Thanks, Hunting, I know the site and did think about asking them. But then I noticed they don't have any Tokoname, and Aaron was so kind to ask about the mark on a FB group.

i need help likes this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Yes, I noticed that before, and I also came across some mistakes. The Gotheborg site is so very extensive that mistakes are bound to happen. It is a learning process for anyone who starts an information site. And he welcomes extra information.

Another thing on the Gotheborg site, something most people won't come across or be bothered about, but which boggled my mind: Jan-Erik Nilsson went to Bali to research what remained of the Majapahit pottery tradition.
    Majapahit was an East Javanese kingdom that once ruled most of SE Asia. Bali was one of its colonies. To get to Bali by plane, you fly directly over the territory of Majapahit proper.
    I fail to understand the logic. Why go to a colony to research the dominating nation? Why not go to the former Majapahit capital and surrounding region, where Majapahit style ceramics are made to this day? His explanation was that a Hindu island would have kept more of the ceramics tradition than a pre-dominantly Muslim one.:confused:

Silver Wolf likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted