Featured Info on pot/vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by JR1969, Apr 16, 2022.

1. JR1969

JR1969 Active Member

Good Morning! IMG_6120.jpg IMG_6118 (1).jpg IMG_6116.jpg IMG_6114.jpg IMG_6113.jpg Any help appreciated. Found this pot/vase at thrift store. The mark is very small and on the rim of of the bottom. Thank you for your help.

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Looks like an Asian character upper right and while it could be either Chinese or Japanese, I would aim for Japanese.

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Research "Ikebana vase." You can add "footed" and "salt glazed" as search words.

Debora

Figtree3 and NewEngland like this.
  4. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Figtree3, bercrystal and Bakersgma like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Seller thinks perhaps Toyo but their work seems to be a bit more avant garde.

Debora

il_1140xN.3065288454_l4cu.jpg

johnnycb09 and Bakersgma like this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I copied & enlarged the mark as well as enhanced shading to see if it made it clearer to others & placed it in the corner.....I ALSO see there are TINY letters at the bottom of the LEFT edge and under the original mark.....not sure you saw them....looks like 'L G something M' .....

INFO POT VASE-gigapixel-3_00x.jpg

Figtree3, Born2it and Debora like this.
  7. JR1969

JR1969 Active Member

Dang y’all are good. Thank you! I didn’t know where to start. The marks are very similar.

8. JR1969

JR1969 Active Member

[​IMG]Anyone know what this says? from a sticker of similar vase in above etsy listing. Would this be the maker?

9. JR1969

JR1969 Active Member

I posted another reply but it disappeared. @Debora so Ikebana is a general style of vase. correct? doesn't really say anything about the maker. Does the sticker I copied indicate a maker. Anyone read Japanese?

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Ikebana is the Japanese art of flower arranging. Your vase was produced mid-century to be used for that purpose. Some ikebana vases are quite collectible now as they suit modern decors. I suggest you browse Completed Listings on eBay to see where collector interest lies. And perhaps you'll be able to find a vase with a similar mark from which you'll be able to identify the maker of yours. If I remember correctly, the sticker you posted is an export sticker but I could be wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ikebana

Debora

Figtree3 and Bakersgma like this.
  11. JayBee

JayBee Well-Known Member

Japanese ikebana vase for sure.

Figtree3 likes this.
  12. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

The sticker says Toyo, and the other marks say Kozan. I think. Do you ever try asianart.com? Or another forum?

Figtree3 likes this.
  13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The only Toyo sticker I can find an example of is this one.

Debora

DSCN8101_1024x1024@2x.jpg

14. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
  15. JR1969

JR1969 Active Member

@Debora thank you for clarifying.

Debora likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted