Featured Info on rare euro notes

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by TT Antique, Dec 17, 2016.

1. TT Antique

TT Antique Well-Known Member

2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I understand the €500 note is scarce because it is not produced anymore, it is of course worth €500 plus any premium someone is willing to pay.

Those four £5 notes that have been put into circulation have been altered by a third party, as yet non have been at auction so they are still worth only £5.

KingofThings likes this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

That note is worth something because a known artist painted a picture on it. Are there any well-known European artists hand decorating euros?

KingofThings likes this.
  4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

No one had heard of him until this article was printed.
    The note is not a production error and technically the guy has committed an offence by defacing or altering a legal tender banknote.
    Notice in the article it says "Could" be worth £50k or £20k.
    Its all a load of bull if you ask me.

KingofThings and afantiques like this.
  5. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Art experts are estimating the four fivers could be worth up to £50,000 after collectors forked out thousands to buy notes with unusual serial numbers.

I'd say there would be no cross-over whatsoever, since the engraved notes would be considered as just 'damaged' by the sort of collector who would buy a normal note with some unusual (but original) feature.

The Daily Mail is a British newspaper that has a reputation for, if not actually making stuff up, then taking a trivial happening and blowing it up out of all proportion. Their readership incudes large numbers of people to whom the words 'experts say' is as good as saying 'it is true'. Daily Mail news stories stop just short of 'Elvis found on the Moon'.

The story says that the four notes could be worth up to (great weasel words) £50,000, which I read as for all 4, but the OP read as 'each'.

As for Euro notes, well, who knows? In a recent mixed lot of common banknotes in a local auction there was a badly damaged but in my opinion cashable 500 Euro note. Unless there was ever a 500 issued with no built in metal thread, it was a forgery and I examined it carefully and decided it was as bent as a nine bob note. Nevertheless, the auction lot sold for several hundred pounds, so either I was wrong or two or more people were fooled. I have not heard of any special interest in Euro notes - I'd put a crisp uncirculated 5 or 10 in my collection since they are a significant event in European banknotes, but for the cost of multiple minor variations or higher denominations, I'd buy much more interesting older, pre-Euro notes for that value.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
    daveydempsey and KingofThings like this.
  6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Defacing money in the name of art - or Spock, as the case may be - is rather common lately. Canadian $5 were the most popular. Spock with one Severas Snape untitled1.png untitled2.png untitled4.png

7. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

And it happens on American money, too

untitled3.png images5.jpg images6.jpg images7.jpg

KingofThings and Bakersgma like this.
  8. gerspee

gerspee Well-Known Member

Maybe it's better to speak about Pounds is the English do not have the Euro as currency in use

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted