INFO & VALUE ON 1890 CARVED BONE? CANE/WALkING STICK HANDLE?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Aug 19, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at a local estate sale today (what a house - I also got a old leather firefighter helmet, a old box of fire extinguisher water grenades + a mint condition Singer 221 Featherweight sewing machine w/all the extras!) - it is a carved bone? or ivory? cane handle of a tiger chasing a man!
    It is also inscribed JAN. 11th 890! - I believe it's suppose to be 1890, but there is no number 1 in front of the 890! lol
    Any thoughts on origin? (I think "oriental" but Jan. is written in english)
    Is age correct? Does the missing numeral hurt it's value?
    Value?
    Bone or ivory?
    Can I call this a carved netsuke cane/walking stick handle?
    As always, I appreciate any help.
    AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY CANE HANDLE 3AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY CANE HANDLE 4AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY CANE HANDLE 1AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY CANE HANDLE 2AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY CANE HANDLE 5AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY CANE HANDLE 6AA.jpg

Christmasjoy and aaroncab like this.
  2. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I see schreger lines, so it's ivory. It looks like a Chinese man being chased around a tree by a tiger.

3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3A634699-8556-4E6A-B73E-A22342AAF99B.jpeg I see initials, don’t know if artist. I think anyway?

judy, Christmasjoy and Fid like this.
  4. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I can't enlarge your image so I can't really tell. Looks like M---something and Nu.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. i need help

Maybe @journeymagazine can take a close-up.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

And the crackles are those of old ivory!
    But no netzuke here, even if it has holes...
    The beast, with pointy ears, looks like a wolf to me:)

7. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I think you might be right. What looked like tiger stripes probably denotes fur. I'd say I need new glasses but was told I'm getting cataracts. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

kyratango, Aquitaine, judy and 3 others like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree. It is a Western subject, Western made. As Journey said, probably for a walking stick.
    A netsuke is a Japanese belt toggle, to attach items on cords to a belt. The cord passes behind the belt, the netsuke helps to keep it in place:
    [​IMG]

kyratango, Jivvy, Bakersgma and 2 others like this.
  9. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

could it be Italian made for an Englishman ? a glitch back into Italian "ottocento" by the carver ?

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

yes...ivory..,.& wolf..

kyratango, Jivvy, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  11. journeymagazine

Initials look like Nu NU - I never saw it!
    AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY CANE HANDLE 8DAAAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY CANE HANDLE 8DAAA.jpg

judy likes this.
  12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

GREAT clear blow-up journey!!!!! And yes, so hard to tell that 1st letter!!!

13. i need help

Could it say Mr. Nu?

14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think it is decorative carving, just like on the corresponding side.

15. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

If those are initials, does the "N" look like it has a Caron carved above it? i.e. ň
    Can't tell if that's just an artifact in the ivory or if it's meant to be there. Could give a clue as to its origin if it does have that.

Would also love to see a pic of that firefighter helmet you've mentioned.

Christmasjoy, judy and i need help like this.
  16. journeymagazine

This might show initials better + a few of old leather fireman's helmet for sabre123; the last photo is a plaque given at his retirement for work with FBA (shows provenance?).
    Ever see visors like those?! I haven't!

AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY CANE HANDLE 8CAA RESIZED.jpg
    AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY FIREMAN HELMET 1AA_AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY FIREMAN HELMET 1CAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY FIREMAN HELMET 2AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY FIREMAN HELMET 8AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY FIREMAN HELMET 9AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY FIREMAN HELMET 9AAA.jpg

17. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

18. journeymagazine

Unless it's an antique, right? Isn't the looks enough to prove it's an antique, beside the date inscribed into it?
    (The estate sale is over & house is closed/for sale - no finding family of fireman father without a lot of work)

19. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

In this case it might be enough. But I am not a legal expert.
    Quoting from the Fish and Wildlife link:
    "Provenance and age may be determined through a detailed history of the item, including but not limited to, family photos, ethnographic fieldwork, art history publications, or other information that authenticates the article and assigns the work to a known period of time or, where possible, to a known artist or craftsman. A qualified appraisal or another method, including using information in catalogs, price lists, and other similar materials that document the age by establishing the origin of the item, can also be used."

20. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

The helmet is amazing, Journey. Thanks for sharing. Bourke style eye shields. You did well.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted