Information for old porcelain

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Jal, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Jal

Jal Active Member

Hello,
    Several months ago this article was given to me, I have no idea of the period of manufacture or civilization. Also I have no idea if this is reproduction or original.
    Can anyone help me?

Thanks !!!

c.jpg cc.jpg ccc.jpg cccc.jpg

2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Oil, lamp, pottery not porcelain very crude, not so sure it is old though, but just guessing ...but on second look maybe that's encrustation on the surface so maybe it is ancient and dug up somewhere in Mesopotamia?

Bakersgma likes this.
  3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Doubt it to be very old, think it was just made to look that way..

I see there is some sort of design on the side, could we please get a better look at the design?

4. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Greek or Syrian oil lamp....copy after the ancient Roman lamps?

Christmasjoy and antidiem like this.
  5. Jal

Jal Active Member

It is curious, If it is a reproduction, why does it not have a handle?. All the reproductions that I have seen have it.

yy.jpg y.jpg

6. antidiem

Most small oil lamps had / have handles that came up and around a little bit.

Yours is VERY small, looks never used. I think it could be a souvenir. Nothing about yours looks anything but new to me, that does not look like any ancient crustation on the surface to me. The clay inside the handle is identical to the clay on the bottom, in appearance. The crack could be from a bad kiln firing. It would have been destroyed in ancient times, and the same clay reused to make another. I think it's primitively made, never used, reproduction of the old style.

I am still trying to figure out the wheat shoals and the circles though. It may have been created with an old mold?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. antidiem

the handle broke off

8. Jal

Jal Active Member

Hello,
    I’m watching the following: The item have a patina everywhere. But this patina is not inside the cracks. Moreover, some cracks have something like glue. It make me thinking that first the item was created or discovered, and after it was broked and repared. Supposedly in the house of the owner.
    The patina is in the broken part of the handle. It makes me think that is was created or discovered with no handle.
    I'm improving my english level, and maybe my explanation is not showing what I'm watching.

Thanks for helping antidiem!!!

anundverkaufen likes this.
  9. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

they sell them as pocket lamps in Italy now. look for "ecologica lampada tascabile"...

antidiem likes this.
  10. antidiem

11. Jal

Jal Active Member

Hi Fid,
    I have been looking for ecologica lampada tascabile on google, but I didn't found any similar item.

Jal.

12. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

sorry for the little joke. it means ecological pocket lamp in Italian.

kyratango likes this.
  13. antidiem

@Jal , try searching "clay pocket oil lamp" on google..

Yours seems to have the "grapes" pattern.

Draft saved Draft deleted