Information needed Cup#2 Chalice

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Michelle Lowe, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Michelle Lowe

Michelle Lowe New Member

I previously posted the just marks on a few of these, so sorry for duplication. An old friend of ours gave us 10 little tea cups as a gift. Story is they all were acquired in Japan during the occupation and brought back to the USA by his Grandfather. I took pictures of the sides insides and the bottom showing the marks, if any. I am posting these one at a time so I can keep the information I receive straight in my mind. Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated, including possible age, location made, and if it would be worthwhile to contact someone to give a value. These pieces do not have sentimental value, and I would like to sell. If you could give a reference on someone who could provide this service that would be great as well. Sorry to be so long winded LOL. My pictures are large files and I am having to resize as I go so it will take me a few days to post each cup. I thank you! IMG_6538 (2).JPG IMG_6539 (2).JPG IMG_6542 (2).JPG IMG_6543 (2).JPG

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

That looks like an egg cup ,or is it just me? :)

Michelle Lowe likes this.
  3. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Ain't jus' you, Johnny..............I thought "Egg Cup" as well....but on the other hand, I ain't so well versed in Asian table appointments, so...................

Michelle Lowe and johnnycb09 like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Sake cup...

5. Michelle Lowe

Michelle Lowe New Member

It is somewhat square, and not round. So I am not sure what it is. It is a very small cup.

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think so too

7. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Heard somewhere that sake sets are 5 cups and the sake bottle. So, 10 cups may be 2 sets.

8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Yup, it's considered fortunate in Japan to have things in sets of five.

9. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Gotheborg.com is a website where you can find marks on Asian ceramics. My mother had a LOT of Occupied Japan and pre-war ceramics at one time. This is not looking old to me but I could be wrong.

10. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted