inherited antiques

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Kbelle, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Kbelle

Kbelle New Member

IMG_0219.jpg IMG_0220.jpg IMG_0221.jpg IMG_0222.jpg IMG_0224.jpg IMG_0230.jpg IMG_0229.jpg IMG_0228.jpg IMG_0226.jpg Hello, I recently inherited this furniture and need some help identifying, evaluating and marketing. I have some photos but they are not the best. I believe the items are oak from the 20 or 30s. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    Aquitaine and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi @Kbelle, and WELCOME to ANTIQUERS!! If you could go back in to your posting, and click on the very TOP image that says "INSERT EVERY IMAGE AS A FULL IMAGE".....small thumbnails are so hard to see, especially for those either on cell phones or with vision difficulties!! Thank you SO MUCH!!!!

3. Kbelle

Kbelle New Member

will do

Aquitaine and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Ahhhh, more brown wood !
    Nice pieces.....value for sale will depend on where U R ....how U intend to sell....& how long U wish to hold on to these before making a sale !!
    The marble top wash stand goes well with the pitcher & basin.....if you can get it away from the clutter...;)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Kbelle

Kbelle New Member

I am going down next week to prepare the pieces for sale and take detailed photos. The location is South Georgia.

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Sorry for your loss !
    I hope you have a good sale !!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. Kbelle

Kbelle New Member

Thanks-- we are trying to determine if an estate sale is the best way to sell or craigslist ebay--frankly I am not sure exactly how to accurately describe the furniture is brown wood bad? is is oak? whats the difference between sideboard and buffet.

8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

The dining furniture is about 1930s/40s
    The wash stand and sofa are late 1800s early 1900s.
    Start with the estate sale. People for some reason, don't mind paying a higher price at an "estate" sale as opposed to a "garage" sale or flea market.
    If you don't sell it there, then move on to Craig's list or your local Facebook garage sale pages.

Brown furniture is a misnomer.
    Currently people are buying old furniture to paint it. Wood is brown.
    Value of antique furniture has fallen.
    I would suggest you visit a couple of antique malls and check out prices for your area. Price about half of what the stores are asking and you can go down if someone is interested.

Christmasjoy and James Conrad like this.
  9. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    The sofa looks lke a 1920s Duncan Pfife. It is a shame that I can not see the feet.:oops:
    greg

10. clutteredcloset49

Before you sell everything, be sure that you ask any grandchildren, nieces/nephews if there are things that mean something to them. Can't tell you how many people walk through my store and say Grandma or Auntie had that. Wish I had a chance to ask for it.

11. Grateful

Grateful Well-Known Member

IMO, I think I'd go the estate sales or consignment route first. Although you'd get a bigger cut (if not all), if you use Facebook or Craigslist first you will be answering lots of inquiries (one at a time), and have to deal with people low-balling, just wanting to check out what's in the home, etc. Not sure if you are in a rural area or not. Check out a site like "estatesales.net" and see who offers that service close to you and interview/visit several. I guess a lot depends on how much time you have to devote to this task.

Brown furniture isn't terribly popular with most of the younger generation and may have a bad connotation. Just call is what it is...walnut, oak, mahogany, etc. You can look up terms "sideboard" and "buffet", but many use the terms interchangeably. You can call something two names "X" or "y". Your pictures will give them the best idea of what the piece is. I love "brown furniture" and it will have another day to shine (we just don't know when.)

And I agree with the likely Duncan Pfife sofa notion. Nice stuff. Good luck and ask for more help if you need it.

12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

You may have better luck in Georgia than we would up North. You're in Gone With the Wind country and all of that furniture would have looked at home in a big mansion. BTW - I think the dining room set is walnut.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  13. Kbelle

Kbelle New Member

Thanks everyone for your help. I will get inspect thoroughly for any manufacturer marks and photo.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  14. clutteredcloset49

Older furniture often does not have makers marks.
    Better pictures for help with age, styles, wood, would be helpful.

15. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Dining set is circa 1920 and agree with this likely being walnut. The sofa looks Federal style but can't tell if it is period or a revival piece. The marble top wash stand is circa 1890. I don't think the mirror is original to it.

Aquitaine and clutteredcloset49 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted