Featured inherited chair

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Honeydew, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Honeydew

Honeydew Member

Can anyone tell me anything about great grannies chair? I have learned so much in the little time I have been on the forum. You guys are so helpful and great. I have been searching online for weeks and it seems like I just don't know where to look for things and answers. I love how you guys give the links so we can find out stuff ourselves! Thank you! chair.jpg

Ghopper1924, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

There have been so many makers of ladder back chairs over a very long time. Have you inspected closely for any maker's marks or do you remember how long it's been around?

It may be helpful to give some close ups of construction details and clear wood to identify the species. My gut reaction is that it's a 20th C chair but I could be wrong. There are some furniture gurus here that can be more helpful I'm sure.

I have quite a lot of ladder back chairs, one rather early and the others later 20th C. Around where I am Clore was probably be best known maker of ladder backs (and I have some of those) but I also have some purchased new (at the time) that literally came from a small workshop in the mountains and some that were new from a roadside stand.

(Here is a discussion about my old one)
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/old-ladder-back-armchair-repair-help-age.31490/

3. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

I picked up some ladderbacks real cheap at a sale and they are actually Tell City, and look almost identical to that one. The Tell City ones are very well marked however. Definitely looks like a newer seat.

4. shallow_ocean_spectre

shallow_ocean_spectre fine.books' bumping squirrel

Maple:

upload_2019-12-12_10-55-47.png

Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  5. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

Yes indeed. Maple

i need help likes this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I have a couple of Tell City "desk?" chairs. Color looks identical - hard rock maple.

I'd date your chairs to 1960s-70s.

i need help, lloyd249 and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

We used to refer to these as arched ladder backs.

Honeydew and i need help like this.
  8. Honeydew

Honeydew Member

car3.jpg chair1.jpg chair2.jpg chair4.jpg
    more close up pics

Draft saved Draft deleted