Inherited dressers - help with identification/restoration?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Rallen123, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Rallen123

Rallen123 New Member

Hi - first time poster here! I inherited two antique dressers from my late grandmother and am looking to get some insight on the approximate age/quality of the dressers. The smaller one has some water damage/stains on the top- I would love to fix that up somehow but don't want to hurt the value/integrity of the piece. Would appreciate any suggestions of how to do that! I'm pretty positive the drawer pulls on the tilting-mirror dresser are replacements. My grandparents restored/collected old furniture as a novice hobby so I plan to keep these for sentimental reasons (and because they are beautiful!) but they didn't leave any records for these pieces. I want to know as much as possible about the likely age/history of these dressers as well as how to keep them in nice condition so they will continue to last. Any help much appreciated!
    Edit: Also to note is my grandparents were from and always lived in Northern Michigan, so all furniture they found/antiqued would have been bought in the region.

image1.JPG
    IMG_3391.JPG
    image3.JPG image2.JPG IMG_3413.JPG

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
    KingofThings likes this.
  2. bobsyouruncle

bobsyouruncle Well-Known Member

? Victoria ?Eastlake style dresser and washstand. ? may have been a towel rack attached where there appear to be 4 holes

KingofThings likes this.
  3. Rallen123

Rallen123 New Member

Interesting! Something to note- the two pieces aren't necessarily from the same set or time, my grandparents just liked a particular look/style.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Both are circa 1890. Vaguely Eastlake but best described as Victorian with spoon carving. Your dresser appears to be ash. The wash stand looks like poplar. Hard saying what the holes in the backsplash are for. Maybe for candlestands or for upright standards with a towel bar. Actually, the whole top and backsplash look like they could be a replacement. As noted, the hardware is wrong. The two brass pulls on the wash stand might be original but seem a bit too ornate for the style.

5. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

HI, All.
    I would love to hear comments concerning my fairly new found way to eliminate water stains on wood furniture.
    Mayonnaise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rubbed on with a cloth. On one big spot left for a few hours.
    All stains gone and have not reappeared.
    I have a feeling it might only work on pieces that have been polished over the years with such as Pledge. Maybe?

BTW, I only buy Hellmans. :D

tyeldom3 likes this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

A towel rack? On such a 'short' surface?????? Hmmmmm........

Edit: Could have had something like these though:

Washstand.jpg

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  7. Rallen123

Rallen123 New Member

Thank you! Very helpful. So you think the big dresser is ash that they stained darker? Do you have any names of/links to websites where I could find original pulls that fit the era? I would like to take care of these and spiff them up.

KingofThings likes this.
  8. Aquitaine

And WELCOME to the site Rallen!!!! Hope you find your time here well spent!! We also have some fun while learning and educating......always something new to learn for all of us!!!!!

KingofThings likes this.
  9. Aquitaine

You could try Googling Eastlake/Victorian Dressers images....you should get tons of them.....see what maybe comes close.....just one suggestion without any footwork!

10. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome! :)
    Nice pieces.

11. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

I can't wait to try that.....:) thanks!
    I only buy Hellmans too!

12. KingofThings

Ha!!! You'd have to send for it if West of the Mississippi for it's Best Foods here. :)

yourturntoloveit and tyeldom3 like this.
  13. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I thought it was Blue Ribbon west of the Rockies. I use that and cigarette ashes to remove white spots on furniture. Have done that since a kid.
    greg

14. TheOLdGuy

Gee, Mr. King. You should perhaps stick to aunt teekies. :D

Best Foods bought Hellman's many years ago, BUT do sell both and great controversy over any perceived difference caused many investigations - you will not be happy with the results. Click on the Huffington report. Or copy and paste into Google, Bing...................
    Hellmann’s vs. Best Foods Mayonnaise: Is There A Difference?

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  15. TheOLdGuy

And, BTW, I have surmised that mayo works only on the Pledge type polish. That leaves a film that gradually builds up over the years and any water stains will actually be in the built up polish. Mayo likely removes the layers of polish and the stains.

I had a relatively new cabinet with an oak type stain in the garage. It had been cleaned and polished with Pledge. Planned to give away because of many water stains, one a few feet in diameter. A lady friend told me of the mayo fix. I was amazed, especially the large one which I left overnight. All water stains disappeared and the original finish self restored.

BUT, I tried it on an antique chest of my aunt's. Some glass/cup rings visible in certain lights. Does not work. I blame that on the fact that my mother and her sister used ONLY Old English that I'm guessing soaks into the wood, keeping it moist and prevents cracks in addition to polishing. No polish build-up to remove with mayo.

All above is pure guess work and will be happy to know if right or wrong. TIA!

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  16. gregsglass

Hi,
    I used the mayo on all kinds of finishes but I used cigarette ashes also as a very mild abrasive. None of my furniture ever had Pledge used on it as far as I know and we go back a long time. Now Oak furniture if the water stain is left too long it will mix with the tannins in the oak and not come out.:oops:
    greg

KingofThings likes this.
  17. KingofThings

CIGARETTE ASHES!!!
    :wideyed::eek::vomit:

18. gregsglass

Hi KoT,
    I do not smoke anymore but I do have an old tin filled with old ashes that I use. The old butts make a great tonic for getting rid of insects. The nicotine killa them dead. I save a lot of old butts and soak them in water for a week or so. Then use the liguid on plants that are bothered by stuff.
    greg

KingofThings likes this.
  19. KingofThings

Hellmann’s Blue Ribbon History
    Hellmann's® products have been staples in American kitchens for generations. The brand's flagship product, Hellmann's® Real Mayonnaise, is the best-selling mayonnaise in the United States.

Mayonnaise is said to be the invention of the French chef of the Duke de Richelieu in 1756. While the Duke was defeating the British at Port Mahon, his chef was creating a victory feast that included a sauce made of cream and eggs. When the chef realized that there was no cream in the kitchen, he improvised, substituting olive oil for the cream. A new culinary masterpiece was born, and the chef named it "Mahonnaise" in honor of the Duke's victory.

In 1905, two years after arriving in the United States, German immigrant Richard Hellmann opened up a delicatessen in New York City. His delectable recipe for mayonnaise was featured in salads and sold in the deli, and the condiment quickly became so popular that Hellmann began selling it in "wooden boats" that were used for weighing butter.

Originally, two versions of the recipe were sold, and to distinguish between them, Hellmann put a blue ribbon around one. The "ribbon" version was in such high demand that in 1912, Hellmann designed what is today the iconic "Blue Ribbon" label, to be placed on larger glass jars. In 1913, Hellmann's received its first trademark for the Blue Ribbon.

At the same time that Hellmann's® Mayonnaise was flourishing in the East, Best Foods, Inc., introduced mayonnaise to Californian consumers. As Hellmann's® expanded on the east coast, Best Foods® proved to be a smashing success in the West. It was nearly inevitable that in 1932 Richard Hellmann Inc. was acquired by Best Foods, Inc. To this day, Hellmann's® Mayonnaise is sold east of the Rockies and Best Foods® Mayonnaise is sold west.

komokwa likes this.
  20. KingofThings

Now Greg....
    When you ascend to prominence on the Hoarders show...you know the discovery of these items will be the 'ficus' and butt of many inventive scenarios and jokes...right? ;)

gregsglass likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted