Inkwell Glass Part - Pat'd 1894

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Nov 30, 2019.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I found this inkwell today, which I am going to guess was part of a set and is now missing the lid and the base. The lid is obvious, but it also has an shallow, unpolished edge around the bottom. It is a pale violet and has Pat'd US July 17 ENG April 14 1894 impressed into the bottom. The edges are beveled, and it is quite heavy at 1 pound and .68 ounces. It is 3 inches on all sides and 2 inches high. The opening is large with a 2 1/2 inch diameter. It has a smidge of ink in the bottom. I know this is just a fragment of something from the past, but I was hoping someone might recognize it. Any thoughts appreciated. IMG_4548.jpg IMG_4554.jpg IMG_4546.jpg IMG_4549.jpg IMG_4557.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Is the neck threaded for a screw cap? Looks like an ink bottle rather than an inkwell.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

Yes, it's threaded. But don't you think it is kind of heavy for a bottle? And it doesn't have a spout.

judy, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  4. Bronwen

Think it functions like an inkwell if you're using a dip pen. It wants to be squat & heavy so you have no chance of knocking it over & little of knocking it off the desk. You can see how much ink remains & how far to dip your pen.

Bottles for expensive ink are constructed in a similar way, thick walls, large base relative to height. This one is a desk accessory as much as a container. Maybe meant to be refilled. Wonder if the cap was silver? I don't think it's missing anything else, although may have set on a tray with pen holder. I find it striking in its simplicity & solidity.

5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

6. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you so much for your analysis of this piece. I was enamored with it initially as a piece of glass and then I saw the date. I know nothing about inkwells and I appreciate you sharing your detailed knowledge of such things. I would think silver may be right. I could search for one.

judy likes this.
  7. i need help

Just Google this -
    Pat'd US July 17 ENG April 14 1894

You will see others.

8. KikoBlueEyes

judy, i need help and Bronwen like this.
  9. Bronwen

Remember, date of patent is not necessarily date of manufacture.

10. KikoBlueEyes

That's wonderful. I hadn't thought to use this as a search term. Thank you

11. Bronwen

Excellent! INH does it again. :)

12. KikoBlueEyes

Got it.

13. i need help

14. KikoBlueEyes

She sure did! @i need help is terrific!

judy, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  15. KikoBlueEyes

judy, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  16. i need help

Thank you, Kiko.
    Maybe someone can find out more about it.
    Duel Patents, interesting.

Nice Find, too!

17. KikoBlueEyes

I saw that too and it made me smile. Could just be a spell check thing. I did some searching using that term you recommended and was going down a rabbit hole of inkwells. But I agree with you, I like it for its heavy older glass chunky quality. It's already up on the window sill with other small treasures.

Draft saved Draft deleted