Inscribed 1937 First Edition “First Commandment” by Martin Niemoller

Discussion in 'Books' started by Vintage Maven, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Vintage Maven

Vintage Maven Well-Known Member

This book is from my vintage book collection. (Inscribed and signed by its author Sept, 1937 *possibly dictated by proxy while he was imprisoned in Berlin, just prior to being sent to a Concentration Camp).

It is a 1937 first edition of First Commandment written by German Theologian and Lutheran Pastor Martin Niemoller. Initially, Niemoller was a National Conservative in support of the Nazi Party. However, he soon became one of the founders of Confessing Church, which opposed the Nazification of German Churches.

Because of his opposition, Niemoller was imprisoned by the Nazis, then sent to Sachsenhaussen, and then Dachau Concentration Camps from 1938 to 1945. He narrowly escaped execution. The inscription written in this book during Sept, 1937 is from his initial weeks of imprisonment in Berlin. (*Me being a big history buff, I bought this book at the time, purely from a historical perspective, and it’s interesting inscription).

07934D7F-F8BA-4E18-9B42-F05C45CBE1E0.jpeg 8BFEF1C5-A6C6-4736-80DC-73A9F716A665.jpeg 4AACAF2A-71D5-4CB5-AA78-62E1022F3A58.jpeg EB8CE7DB-F04F-4059-8B95-B6D8991E4A6C.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

dude, Christmasjoy and Vintage Maven like this.
  3. Vintage Maven

@Debora that could be because the book you found online is mine from Bison Books, it just hadn’t been taken down. ❤️Maven (The inscription hand written, doesn’t go without questions and controversy though, it quite possibly could have been dictated by him, to someone writing it for him, while he was imprisoned.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::eek:

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Too funny. El mundo es un pañuelo. So you're telling me the inscription is handwritten? Have you been able to identify where in his writings it comes from?

Debora

6. Vintage Maven

@Debora lol that IS a crazy coincidence. The inscription is in indeed handwritten, but I do not know much farther than what the shop owner informed me of. That is an interesting research question though, something I most definitely should seek out. ❤️Maven

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted