Featured Insect Illustrations

Discussion in 'Books' started by cxgirl, Jul 5, 2019.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi All,
    More stuff from a box I'm emptying out. I'm trying to figure out when they were printed.
    16 of these, printed on cardstock, 5 3/4" x 8" closed. They don't appear to have been bound together, so maybe they came in a binder of some sort? Or maybe these were issued monthly, you could collect the set?
    Lots of information on the 3 men listed, but not finding these pieces.
    any information appreciated.
    thanks for looking:)
    DSCF4908.jpg DSCF4909.jpg DSCF4910.jpg DSCF4911.jpg DSCF4915.jpg DSCF4921.jpg DSCF4928.jpg DSCF4978.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Wow. Kyra would love these, I bet!

Perhaps the European (specifically Swiss) origin is what's making the contributors difficult to find?

EDIT - Oops - now I see you found the men, but not the works. Sorry!

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

There's a medical connection; they are all critters that can harm a human being.

kyratango, sabre123, Rayo56 and 2 others like this.
  5. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

That one with the front claws and it's tail up in the air scares the heck out of me ... Joy. :eek:

6. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks bakers:) they are pretty cool. The illustrator, Walter Linsenmaier is known for his highly detailed illustrations of animals, plants and insects (taken from Wiki)

Marvellous, thanks Bronwen:) I think one might be the same, the description translated reads,
    XVI, color single and double sheets on strong paper in cardboard folder.

so from the 16/XVI I'm not missing any and they came in a cardboard folder. No photo or publication date unfortunately, but I'm thinking 1950s

Bronwen, kyratango, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  7. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Strange - Entomology is the study of insects but yet they have pictures and info on 2 Arachnids (Scorpion and Spider)

8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks Bronwen, that makes sense:)

9. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks Rayo56, I didn't know that:) there are ticks included too which is an Arachnid also
    DSCF4924.jpg

10. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Running away from the bugs always.

Yesterday I killed a too big bug in my apt.
    I don't know if it was what I used to call a silverfish or not. It had those million legs on it and was brown. Ugh... I cringe just thinking about it.Gross me out.
    Sorry cxgirl, that is no help at all. I hope someone can assist you.
    Could they be flashcards to learn about bugs?

Greg don't look there are spiders.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

mine are so hairy....that are actually beautiful..........

Centipedes eat everything from silverfish to bed bugs to cockroaches (doing the Lord’s work for us...). So, if you see a centipede, some experts say, don’t kill them.

12. pearlsnblume

Yes, I should have said house centipede... that is what it was.
    They give me the willies even if they do good. I must have had a terrible incident that I don't recall involving bugs because this fear of them has been going on since I was about 3 years old with most bugs.

But next time I find one here Komo, we can meet at the border and I will toss it over to you.
    Deal?? :p:p

13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I heed all the help I can get in this place.... sure...I'll take her !!!;):happy::happy:

14. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

A centiped (aka thousand-legger),
    When seen for the first time
    In the bottom of a bathtub,
    By me, a four-year-old,
    Barrelled down the drain
    To the sound of an unholy yell,
    Such as to waken an entire cemetery!

15. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Those House Centipedes have racing stripes...for good reason. We used to get them at my last house.

Now, I'm a guy who will pick up a big spider and let it out the front door to save it, but those House Centipedes scare the bejeezus out of me.

16. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

All critters with more than four legs scare me to the death:zombie::eek::dead:
    Go figure why I collect them in jewelry:facepalm::wacky:

These prints are... scary art!;)

17. pearlsnblume

One reason I loathe them is because they have all those legs and move so fast, I can almost feel them crawling on me even if they are not. Uggggggh! I was amazed I got that bugger with 2 tissues.:eek:

Aquitaine, sabre123, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  18. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

19. sabre123

I picked one up with a napkin once and it turned and tried to bite me. The legs are scary...but the texture and just how 'juicy' it looks make me cringe.

20. sabre123

Draft saved Draft deleted