Featured Interesting “Nautical” Table

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Shwikman, Jul 30, 2021.

1. Shwikman

Shwikman Well-Known Member

So this is a strange little table:
    The family story goes that this was part of the cabin furniture in my grandfather’s Chris Craft boat that got sacked by hurricane David back in the 70’s. My mom has been dragging around the country using it as a TV table…I think it’s sort of homely in a quirky way…the wife isn’t too
    excited about taking it in but I’m going to try making a spot for it.

Anyway, I thought it would be interesting to share this weird little table here with y’all.

266AED8F-FEC0-43D3-A73E-B119E149F90B.jpeg 32DDD240-DDB3-4894-95B0-B62754593E67.jpeg 1014EFAD-43A6-4F68-908C-1E02572CF36E.jpeg 7BBAA3BC-25E1-4099-8321-EAD9D57F54CB.jpeg B24ECF94-388D-43A1-985B-FF0B4262098C.jpeg 6A417651-ADE3-4CED-A0C4-5A647ED813C0.jpeg

2. NewEngland

NewEngland Well-Known Member

Cris Craft parts are hard to find and are pretty valuable. Take a look at the Cris Craft chat boards - people are looking for these. I agree with your wife - it's not anything I would want in my home but you have a family attachment. It would be a fun piece in a cottage near the lake.

3. mark737

mark737 Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing. Here's a similar table shown in its natural habitat, aboard a 42' Grand Banks. CC 42Grand Banks.jpg

4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I actually like it, and would enjoy having something like that in my home. But my tastes are eclectic, and one of my grandfathers worked on ships all of his working life. It reminds me of that heritage.

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

g-d bless yer mom..........it's a darling table full of family history...:hungry::hungry::happy:

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd hang onto it too. If it's from a Chris Craft odds are it would sell in a second if it got into the wild.

7. Shwikman

I agree, we’re going to try to work out a place for it.
    Thanks y’all so much for the comments and insight as always!!

8. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

I confess that I was expecting to see a sheath of papers. I think I would find it difficult to part with.

9. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Most all ship tables are secured to the floor as seen in the photo 'Mark737' posted. Don't see this with this table.

Figtree3, judy, Shwikman and 2 others like this.
  10. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

Deleted. :muted::oops:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  11. Shwikman

Yes, I see that in the photo. I do believe this table was born/built with the boat in question….however I do not have first hand recollection.
    The boat was claimed as a loss after a hurricane and sold to a neighbor who was attempting to restore it up until the time my grandfather moved from the gulf back to California. I will have the table in my possession in a week or so and can take a closer look. There are also photos of the boat and some family members who may be able to lend some insight.
    I appreciate all the comments, information and good vibes….will do my best to follow up!

judy likes this.
  12. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Neat table. Too bad the top rails are missing. Might they have been rubber? Can't otherwise figure why the metal mounting strips. The pic of the table mark737 posted has them intact but they look like wood. Would probably be easy enough to create some in wood.

Shwikman likes this.
  13. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Just found this one with metal rails....

[​IMG]
    Suspect that this is what yours had.

Figtree3, Shwikman and Brian Warshaw like this.
  14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

And this one shows a clear image of the mounting whatsits that would keep it from moving around.

Figtree3 and James Conrad like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted