Interesting Article on Thrifts

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by patd8643, Jan 11, 2021.

1. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Interesting. And not the case in the UK, charity shops are directly operated by charities. We do get those scummy fake collecting bags though.

Houseful likes this.
  3. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I always donate to either the swap shop at our transfer station or to a local church's thrift, I stay away from the big boys.

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

So, NOW where to go with all those bags of mostly clothing!!! Such a bummer they’re mostly so BAREFACED about it!!!

5. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

I have long suspected that one of our local thrifts that I occasionally frequent might be one of the for-profit varieties but I can find any info to confirm that hunch. Anybody know how to tell the difference? They have a whole bunch of advertising for a veteran's charity and causes in their store but I think it might be similar to those described in the article referenced in the OP.

Honestly I don't think a lot of people really care that much to do the research. They just want all of the stuff gone and are looking for someone to dump it on in order to save some garbage disposal fees and possibly get a bit warm and fuzzy about doing a good deed or saving the planet.

komokwa likes this.
  6. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

patd8643 and komokwa like this.
  7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

If I have good shoes or warm clothing I don't need, I take it to the nearest tent city, they usually have a donation tent. To H**L with Value Village etc.

bercrystal and komokwa like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

I've a friend who collects for refugees and also sends stuff out to Syrian refugee camps, so my clothes or whatever go to her.

patd8643 and bercrystal like this.
  9. Marie Forjan

If I have good office type clothes or costume jewelry suitable for office work to donate I send them to Dress for Success. It is a charity that works with women to help them achieve financial independence.

patd8643 likes this.
  10. Ownedbybear

They're brilliant. I've freecycled suits in the past to women wanting them for interviews.

11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Until the Pandemic, my church had a clothes closet. Stuff was given away for free to all comers. We got a bunch of resellers until the clothes started getting trucked into a low-income part of Hartford CT and given away from a church there. Now, for me, housewares go to Habitat for Humanity. They're known for building supplies, but it's also the best place for furniture going, and they take decorative items too. Not clothes though.

I'd hand off warm outer gear to a friend who works with the homeless. Nothing beats direct dial.

bercrystal likes this.
  12. Ownedbybear

I run a very large community Facebook page and encourage swaps and giveaways, I hate waste. I gifted an almost new camera bag recently and received some pork ribs!

bercrystal likes this.
  13. Marie Forjan

We have one a few towns away and if I was giving away furniture I would go there. They have built a few homes in our town, they do a wonderful job :)

14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

There are a bunch of Buy Nothing groups here in the USA. It's a good way to pass along things you're not using. I've gifted brand new kids' books, a Westmoreland vase (pretty, but I can't keep everything) and a few other bits. I've only picked up one thing - a lot of those postcards my Secret Santa wanted.

15. Ownedbybear

The equivalent here is Freegle and Freecycle. When my dad died, the only thing that went to the tip was the mattress. I kept all the nice furniture, but he had some Ikea type stuff. That got snapped up on Freecycle, which pleased me immensely. I sell books and CDs on Amazon, the ones I don't need any more. Amazon always said use new packing. I've never ever done that. Not only does no one object, I've had compliments on it.

bercrystal likes this.
  16. Marie Forjan

My neighbor works at her church's free shop. They give away lots and lots of clothes. Unfortunately right now they are closed like almost all the thrifts here.

bercrystal likes this.
  17. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

All the thrifts here in Ohio and mostly operating like nothing is happening with the exception of some signage and the occasional message over their loud speakers reminding their customers crowded together that they are supposed to be 6 feet apart.

Draft saved Draft deleted