Featured Interesting article re French metal detectorist

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Sedona, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

2. ritzyvintage

ritzyvintage Well-Known Member

Indeed. It is usual practice to obtain permission from the land owner first before using a detector, and in some cases anything found or excavated has to be reported.

kyratango likes this.
  3. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

recently saw a report on German TV about some Dutch that were caught in Bavaria and told the alarmed Heimatschutz (Cultural Heritage Protection) that they found their stuff in Thüringen, because there you don't need a permission and can keep the whole. as the authorities didn't trust them, they called the police for the next morning and confiscated the whole and threatened them to open a case with investigation of clinging earth etc. - yokel CSI - so the Dutch gave in. they were lucky because the Bavarian Police proposed a deal - leave us everything and get lost forever.

kyratango likes this.
  4. ritzyvintage

ritzyvintage Well-Known Member

It is no small wonder that 'most' detectorists don't seek permission or report any findings. One of my cousins found a nice horde of silver coins and she informed our local authority. They took charge of the coins and she received nothing in return. Where is the incentive to be honest??? I've also been told that if you're "lucky" enough strike a Gold mine or Oil in your back yard, it doesn't belong to You! I don't know if that's true, but it does make you wonder! Anyway, I'm hanging on to "The Amber Room" (and keeping quiet about it) and I'm not telling a living soul... :)

Fid likes this.
  5. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

here what the Bavarian police does with more harmless people...
    view it to the bitter end, Bavarian sleighride...

6. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

Silly video!

Draft saved Draft deleted