Featured Interesting badge, pendant. silver. Need help.

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Stepan, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Stepan

Stepan Well-Known Member

Silver. Help determine the history of this pendant. Size 40x38 mm. What does the Form say? 20210410_205201.jpg 20210410_205213.jpg 20210410_205303.jpg 20210410_205318.jpg

elarnia, TraceyB, KSW and 3 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a 'cross of the south', a Berber symbol. It is often equated with the Southern Cross constellation.
    These filigree crosses are made a lot in Morocco-Tunisia-Algeria. Yours is not very old, but a nice symbol.

The Berbers (including the Tuareg) have several types of cross symbols, often to symbolize the directions and finding your way back home, or introspectively, finding your way to yourself. This cross is one of the favourites.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    stracci, Firemandk, elarnia and 18 others like this.
  3. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

AJ you are simply amazing with all the info you share here.

4. Any Jewelry

Thank you pearls.:kiss:
    There are many people here who share what they know though.:)

Firemandk, TraceyB, KSW and 5 others like this.
  5. Stepan

Stepan Well-Known Member

Thank you !!! You are better than Wikipedia :)

stracci, Firemandk, TraceyB and 7 others like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

You're welcome, Stepan.
    Very kind of you to say, but I know that isn't true.:)

Firemandk, TraceyB, KSW and 4 others like this.
  7. Stepan

Stepan Well-Known Member

8. Any Jewelry

If yours was also made in the 70s, it was made in a pivotal period for the Tuareg.
    The Tuareg traditionally made solid silver pieces, engraved or chased with geometrical motifs, all rich in symbolism.

In the 70s there was a terrible drought in the Sahara and Sahel region, resulting in famine. Many nomadic Tuareg were forced to settle in one place, where there was aid.
    I was told that during this time some of the Inaden, the hereditary silversmiths, adopted styles from other Berber groups, and sold their work through organizations to make a living for their families. Berber filigree was always a favourite with tourists. That is why some Tuareg Inaden came to make filigree, like many other Berber silversmiths.

9. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

@Any Jewelry - What totally amazes me is how you keep all the minute interesting details straight. :wideyed::wideyed::wideyed: :jawdrop::jawdrop: :kiss::kiss::kiss:

I was an OR nurse for 17 years & this morning while working a crossword puzzle I could not remember the word edema. :bag::bag::bag: :shame::shame: What's worse is I take Lasix daily for this very problem. :arghh::arghh::arghh: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Firemandk, TraceyB, judy and 3 others like this.
  10. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Peggy, DH and I have the same problem. I was trying to think of the name of a town. Came up with buildings, street names, etc. Then about 5 minutes later came up with the name of the town. I write it off to old age!

Firemandk, TraceyB, judy and 5 others like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

:kiss:
    Only on some subjects, for the rest I am just like you.:wacky:
    I do like to know more about the background of items, and I have a modest Tuareg jewellery collection myself. I had been thinking of posting some Tuareg 'stuff', but I never got around to photographing any of them. (To do list :writer:)

About the Tuareg, my mother was already very interested in them, so our family got involved in an aid project during the famine. We heard stories you never forget. Not just of the pain, but also of the grace, the inner strength, and the sense of decorum they had in times of hardship. And they never lost their eye for beauty, still composing impromptu poetry when they saw a beautiful sunset. A truly amazing people.

Firemandk, komokwa, KSW and 4 others like this.
  12. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I think knowing the background of the items you collect makes them so much more special & interesting. :happy::happy:

I have one of those lists. :rolleyes::rolleyes::p:eek::eek::bag::bag::bag: :hilarious:

KSW, pearlsnblume and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Absolutely!:happy:
    As long as your arm? Or two? (I daren't ask more... :shame:)

bercrystal and KSW like this.
  14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The background is what makes them worth collecting.

As for the list, it's plural. Lists. In quantity. (rolleyes)

bercrystal, KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

I need a list for all my lists.:(

bercrystal and KSW like this.
  16. Stepan

Stepan Well-Known Member

And again I am. :) Silver. 20210415_220444.jpg 20210415_220723.jpg

Any Jewelry and bercrystal like this.
  17. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Stepan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted