Featured Interesting Cabinet Card & CDV Thoughts and Help With Details

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by George Chaney, Jun 1, 2022.

1. George Chaney

George Chaney Well-Known Member

My brother in law was in town for Memorial weekend so we went up to the local flea market event. I am not big on the one up here as its heavily commercial and the bits that are worth buying are all retail.

Regardless, as a lover of old photographs, especially unusual, I couldn't resist these two pieces. Would love some help breaking down what I am seeing;

The CDV is traditional size and is adorable with the smiling baby and stern toddler. What is the toy? What is the baby holding? Anyone worth knowing? Estimated age/date? any blanks you can fill in? and if you are so inclined, love your thoughts on what I should retail this CDV for...

The CC is of standard size and features 3 men. The back is blank and has a name written on the top that I can't quite make out. It almost gives the impression of a vaudeville style group of actors, but I could not resist given the lighthearted nature of the photograph. Any thoughts on who this group might be - if anyone of notoriety, estimated date, any chance you can make out the name on the back, and again, any blanks you can fill in and if you are so inclined, your thoughts on what I should retail this cabinet card for?

I'm running off as I have to run some errands in galax va and then run down to Mt Airy NC so it is going to be a long day for me. I'll check back in to answer any questions you might have later this evening. Thanks for all your help.

20220601_101812.jpg 20220601_101826.jpg 20220601_101736.jpg 20220601_101755.jpg

Born2it, KSW, johnnycb09 and 4 others like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Best I can make out says Mr. John Henry Golden or Golder.

3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The CDV is probably from the late 1870s-early 1880s. The listing of awards on the back ends with 1878, and the photo was probably issued not long after that year. The image is a tad blurred. That won't do it any favors in selling, but it is cute and people like cute children.

The cabinet card photo is very interesting. It probably dates from the 1890s, although could be late 1880s. This is based on several features of the imprint and the actual photo. It's interesting that this is issued by a studio, yet the setting appears to be a quickly put together mishmash of studio features. Not a very attractive setting, imo. However, the men are funny, and it's an unusual image.

I can't give you a real idea of any price to charge. It would depend partly on your selling venue, partly on other factors. I think the cabinet card is so unusual that it would sell for sure.

4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

To me, the cabinet photo suggests a local high school play, with the actors in costume.

George Chaney, Figtree3 and sabre123 like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Bakersgma!! GOOD EYE....I couldn't do much better than YOU!!!! Maybe I'll RETIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!:happy::happy::happy::happy: I think it also looks like 'Hen' but wasn't positive!

20220601_101755-A.jpg

George Chaney and Figtree3 like this.
  6. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

I see John Van Golden / Gorden / Gordia / Gordea
    Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 3.39.43 PM.png

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Van Gorder. Local family.

Debora

Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 4.06.31 PM.png

8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Gordon looks better than what I saw without Aquitaine's work!

George Chaney likes this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A John Vangorder born in Ashtabula 1879. That would be about right. Laborer on family farm. Died in 1960 in tractor accident.

Debora

Van_Gorder-20.jpg

Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'd say that's he on the right in your photograph.

Debora

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The internet has F.B. Way active from 1885-1889 and working from another address, 116 Main Street, from 1885-86, the beginning of that period. Not sure I'm reading that right as there's another source with him working as late as 1906 but now at 138 Main Street.

Debora

Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 4.41.03 PM.png

12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I'm thinking you have that right, and that the dates you found for the photographer at that address may be incomplete. If he was born in 1879, it could only be that John Vangorder in the picture if it was taken in the 1890s or later. I think 1890s is likely, although it could be from very early 1900s. So the address? Who knows.

George Chaney likes this.
  13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Here are his addresses into the new century.

Way, F. B., photographer, 138 Main and 103 Bridge, Ashtabula, OH (1902-1903) City Directory

Debora

14. George Chaney

George Chaney Well-Known Member

Wow! Thank you to everyone for all of your help on this! What a bunch of great info and input! I really do appreciate all of your help and time to help, amazing, and it seems you have identified one of the sitters in that photograph! Along with helping to give an approximate date. WoW!

Off to slave in the woods around the property! Momma brought me a big old list of things to do :(

Figtree3 likes this.
  15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You may want to share it with these people. The local historical society.

https://ashtcohs.com

Debora

George Chaney, Born2it and Figtree3 like this.
  16. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I think the baby has a rattle in his/her hand. The toy would have been a pull toy. You can see the wheels under the horse but was probably used as a studio prop.

17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That does look like a rattle. Handsome children. Interesting that the baby isn't fully clothed.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted