Featured Interesting cane...and dog

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by J Dagger, Oct 31, 2019.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I have a pretty large collection of walking sticks and canes. Don’t know much about them but I like them and I buy them. This one has been curious to me since I picked it up this spring. If there’s a stick person or two in here it would be fun to post some and get some knowledge dropped on me.

This one has a silver band with an odd fraction in the year that I couldn’t figure out. Has anyone seen this before? 19 3/8 62. The silver is marked but I don’t recognize the marks immediately. I photographed the cane when I bought it and left it stored elsewhere. I didn’t capture very good photos of the marks and won’t be back with the cane for a while. Seems to be bamboo or similar segmented wood with a shellac over it. There is some design of small circles on the handle. They look familiar but not sure from where. They kind of remind me of something middle eastern or Mediterranean but that’s probably nothing.

Last name on the band is Ericksson. I can’t recall the first name and didn’t photograph it apparently. I recall looking the name up and not finding anyone of importance immediately. Nordic with that name?

Also you get to see a lovely dog as a bonus! 5B7727A6-6E78-4BEC-B974-73896A1EE3D0.jpeg C4966786-CBDF-42D0-B549-2037D529E817.jpeg 02C15F47-B81A-4596-934D-A1FB69574FFF.jpeg F04F7F15-F620-4DBC-9DF7-A104E9DC1D39.jpeg D08316F8-0F2A-404A-9CEC-A12398531735.jpeg 4D5D1F5F-89D1-4DFF-BC29-0CC8C258A46D.jpeg DAB468A1-9E7B-4E85-9C8E-22EAE1F3B1A4.jpeg DB87F874-77AE-470B-8A73-552E01E7FABD.jpeg 2A0B3B00-FA5A-474E-88EB-BCA79F13B7F4.jpeg

2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Unless someone is 'making-up' a date format, I don't believe any country splits the year by putting the month and day in the middle - that would lead to total confusion!

Beautiful bulldog!!!

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I can't help with the numbers, but I think the dog is not nearly as old as the cane. Great assistant though.:)
    General folk art treatment, used in just about every part of Europe and many other parts of the world.
    Yes, sounds Swedish to me, but Swedes travelled as much as anyone else.;)

4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

5. say_it_slowly

The maker might be MGAB - Markströms Guldsmeds Ab K G in Uppsala but some of the silver experts around here may know for sure.

I rather like the way the day and month are noted myself:). Not sure if it's March 8 or August 3 though:D

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Many European numerically expressed dates that I have seen put the day before the month, so I would guess August 3rd.

The best I can do on the silver marks is to ask a question myself - I can't get a good look at the town mark that follows that maker's mark. I thought it looked like a G (which if it had a crown would be for Goteborg.) I also think the maker only has 3 initials MGB? Can anyone get a bigger in focus shot of those parts of the mark?

7. say_it_slowly

I think this is the best I can do.

upload_2019-10-31_9-32-40.png
    upload_2019-10-31_9-34-50.png

8. Bakersgma

Thanks, SIS!! Confirms your maker ID too!

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, that is the European way of writing the date. I always get confused by the American way, but you probably have the same with our way.;)

10. Bakersgma

Actually being on Ancestry for 10 years has thoroughly converted me to the Euro way - they even use it for US records.

11. say_it_slowly

12. Bakersgma

Even that is still confusing. :confused:

13. say_it_slowly

I guess converting to metric would be good too! In archaeology some archaeologists measure in feet and inches, some measure feet and tenths of feet, some measure in meters and centimeters. In my view meters and centimeters make it so much easier. It's just getting used to the difference.

14. Bakersgma

That I have yet to achieve. I only know that 10 cm is about 4 inches (i think!) :hilarious:

15. vintagerobin

vintagerobin Well-Known Member

"Seems to be bamboo or similar segmented wood with a shellac over it. There is some design of small circles on the handle. They look familiar but not sure from where. They kind of remind me of something middle eastern or Mediterranean but that’s probably nothing."

The small circles are part of bamboo. I believe each circle is where a branch of leaves sprouted. I think it's real bamboo looking at the grain of it.

16. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Have seen quite a few Scandinavian pieces with the engraved date done that way - as already suggested, would be the third of August, 1962. Nice dog!

~Cheryl

17. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Exactly. The circles are more numerous at the root end, just like this where the segments are shorter.

J Dagger and Bronwen like this.
  18. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

WHADDA YA TRYIN' TO DO......KILL ME??????:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::eek::eek::eek::eek::hilarious::hilarious::D:D:joyful::joyful::joyful: I have enough trouble with math now, as it is!!!!!!!:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

However, @J Dagger, your dog is simply WONDERFUL!!!!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  19. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Using tenths of a foot are just the *lazy* way - by doing tenths of a foot, typing reports can be so much less work, e.g. 1.5 vs. 1ft 6" or 1-15/16";)

say_it_slowly and J Dagger like this.
  20. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

@J Dagger I used to own one of these, a system cane containing a violin and bow. Sold it for a small fortune about 20 years ago!

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted