Featured Interesting Chair

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Nate, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Nate

Nate New Member

Hello,
    Im a woodcarver and woodworker and a client has this chair she is interested in getting new pieces made to replace some that are missing. There are 3 pieces missing from the top of the back. Im trying to figure out what style chair it is and if I can find something similar to get an idea as to what the missing pieces looked like? Anyone have any suggestions? The bottom is covered or Id post a picture of it as well.
    Thanks for any info or thoughts..

IMG_4475.JPG IMG_4472.JPG IMG_4471.JPG IMG_4474.JPG

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

lloyd249 and KingofThings like this.
  3. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I would replace Victorian with Eastlake.

4. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome!
    Unless it's very valuable you can generate some ideas that will work with the rest of the design. You may have to hunt a bit to find some donor lumber which has the age you need without disturbing the face/surface of it. Then you just have to work the new edges to blend them in.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
    lloyd249 likes this.
  5. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

6. Nate

Nate New Member

Thank you all so much!! This has been a huge help. I'll post some pictures once I get the piece repaired. The original pieces were only nailed on. I Will probably stick to that idea. So it shouldn't change the value of the chair. Also, my client said she only paid 25$ for 2 chairs. Do any of you have a rough estimate of what they might be valued at? Im only asking out of curiosity. Again thank you. Keep you posted on my progress.

Nathan Boot

Bakersgma likes this.
  7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

It may depend on where you're located and where you're buying or selling. Where I am at the moment you could probably get about what she paid for them some places a bit more in others but not a lot I don't think.. Antique chairs don't seem in demand in my locale. Hopefully others will have better news.

Draft saved Draft deleted