Featured Interesting Chinese bead necklace

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Ownedbybear, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd appreciate thoughts on this. Silk cord, and the beads are lovely - the white ones look moonstone. Cold and heavy to the touch, as are the green ones. I think the finish on those is unusual, it's scavo. The pendant is on clear nylon or plastic and hand knotted.

Ta!

P09.jpg P09a.jpg

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Pretty.
    Maybe someone's handy work rather than a mass produced piece.

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Could well be, given the weaving on the cord. That would have taken time.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I've seen pieces with that cord work come out of China fairly often. It's a nice thing.

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

I thought it was worth a dollar. ;) Or just under. Got this with it, too - very nice glass beads on metal thread with a barrel clasp. P10.jpg

6. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Good shot for 1$!
    Hum... Not moonstones or glass (except for the green scavo and the tiny glass spacers on 2nd pic):) Rather pretty agate/calcedony beads:joyful:

7. Ownedbybear

I don't think the scavo are glass - have a look at that flaw on one of them. You may well be right on the second one being chalcedony or similar. The reason I think moonstone is the real life colour and glow to them: it doesn't show that well on the photo, they look more yellow.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. lynn yarger

lynn yarger New Member

I think Moonstone if they are cold to touch. The green beads could be Jade? I dont know or another stone, if cold. If not then some sort of man made item. If they were red I would say Cinnabar. I would say too green for Jade tho. Are they cold to touch?

judy likes this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Yup, all cold and heavy. No bubbles under a loupe, either.

judy likes this.
  10. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Easy.... one of numerous green stones,tumbled polished and sand blasted symbols.

judy likes this.
  11. Ownedbybear

They're identically shaped. And presumably it would need to be something like a wax resist to get the scavo finish and clear symbols.

judy likes this.
  12. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I don't what they are, but love them!

I don't know what's going on with the red spot below, but I post it in case it someone else thinks it means something. It's not a spot the red cord is going through... I don't think ...

temp01.jpg

judy likes this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Thanks jivvy - I've had a look and I think it's a trick of the light on the photo.

Jivvy and judy like this.
  14. evelyb30

That second set looks like either agate or low grade moonstone. It's hard to say from here, but I'd have jumped on them too.

i need help likes this.
  15. Ownedbybear

Bit glowy for agate, low grade moonstone they might well be. I do have a thing for beads - one of my friends repurposes, but she isn't getting them!

16. evelyb30

I'd be restringing them with agate spacers instead of those foiled seed beads, but....

17. Ownedbybear

They're not foiled, I think, they're a bit mucky. ;) The thread is metal and it's left a bit of crud. I need to dunk them!

18. evelyb30

And restring them; if that's cotton string it may not hold up to getting wet with beads on it. It looks like they've been restrung at least once anyway, so no loss.

Draft saved Draft deleted