Featured Interesting etching GF initials no date

Discussion in 'Art' started by David Madacsi, Dec 18, 2019.

1. David Madacsi

David Madacsi Active Member

so I've been researching this for a couple of years. It was an interesting find at a tag sale. The woman said her husband had been stationed overseas during the war and brought it back. My research so far has uncovered that it is a scene outside of Rome, the cart is called a Carro da Vino, used to transport wine. They had a very interesting cover to keep of the sun and dust off the driver. Looking up artists with GF, Giovanni Fattori became a likely suspect and though he has done an image of a Carro da Vino, his style seems very different. If anyone has any ideas who the artist may be or the general date I'd love to hear. You can see at the bottom left, in the margin there is a small sketch in the plate (remarque) of a wine glass and bottle. I've tried dating the bottle style but have found various dates. I really love the image. I'd love to have more info on the technique- i did a bit of research here and looked initially like dry point but not so wispy so not quite sure there either. The paper is large and quite still. one of the images below includes a pen for reference. carro_da_vino smaller.jpg bottle.jpg carro back.jpg carro full.jpg

dude, kyratango, aaroncab and 4 others like this.
  2. David Madacsi

sorry, should say the paper is quite stiff. And there are no watermarks

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. David Madacsi

Can anyone hep identify the artist or the time period?

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    David Madacsi likes this.
  5. David Madacsi

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Perhaps this will help:

"A remarque is a small vignette image in the margin of a print, often related thematically to the main image. Originally remarques were scribbled sketches made in the margins of etchings so that the artist could test the plate, his needles, or the strength of the etching acid prior to working on the main image. These remarques were usually removed prior to the first publication of the print. During the etching revival, in the late nineteenth century, remarques became popular as an additional design element in prints and were also used in the creation of remarque proofs."

And, are you sure your print depicts the environs of Rome? I ask because those mountains are fairly high.

Debora

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. David Madacsi

Hi Debora, thanks for the info on remarque resurgence! Re the image from what I've read these Carri da vini were traditional around Rome. in the image you can also see aquaduct ruins and some of the 7 hills though i suppose they could be elsewhere. There is a video where this man is speaking about one of these and discusses how they were used to transport wine from the Castelli Romani to the restaurants of Rome, he explains they stopped using them around 1955. Pretty cool video actually. I've also found lots of postcard images https://www.google.com/search?q=car...AhV1AZ0JHeUYA6YQsAR6BAgHEAE&biw=2520&bih=1258

PortableTreasures likes this.
  8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

no problem with those hills around Rome. plenty, e.g. towards Castel Gandolfo etc..
    there are so many possibilities of aqueducts. Aqua Marcia perhaps ?
    the trees are correct as well. the haystack, too.

Christmasjoy and David Madacsi like this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Okay. I'll buy that.

Debora

s-l1600.jpg

10. David Madacsi

[​IMG] Breakthrough! on a whim i used a different reverse image search and I found another of the same etching - though aquatint. The image is very small so I followed up on the artist's name and found some others by him. https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Pair-of-Sma...Fr-Bauchamp-/323973518996?hash=item4b6e539694 However I can't find any bio or information on Fr Bauchamp (this is correct spelling for last name - no "e" If anyone can supply any info on Bauchamp, I'd love to know more!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Ah, found work you're referring to on eBay France. Seller attributes to Bauchamp. Impossible to verify from his (only) photo.

Debora

s-l500.jpg

14. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

15. David Madacsi

Yes i can only assume the seller read the name correctly but in viewing the other 4 or five i found the style is definitely his imo(probably because i have looked so closely at mine so many times), which I really like. Almost illustrative. :)

16. David Madacsi

17. David Madacsi

oh and check out this one really neat remarque https://www.ebay.fr/itm/273793167631

18. David Madacsi

By the way, i wrote to the man in the video above. He believes the GF would have been the name of the driver of the cart. Kind of neat.

He wrote,
    "Buongiorno, GF sono le iniziali del carrettiere che guidava il carretto a vino.La foto e nella campagna romana.Questo carretto di cui io ho due autentici trasportavano il vino dai Castelli Romani a Roma .Buona giornata"

Bronwen likes this.
  19. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

a research in French shows several that are described as "temporary" or "20th century" and practically none outside ebay.
    did you find any that were listed by a reputable auction house ?
    Buona notte.

20. David Madacsi

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted