Featured Interesting Face Brooch, Modernist Style

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by NewEngland, Jan 13, 2018.

1. NewEngland

NewEngland Well-Known Member

facepin.jpg facepin23.JPG moderniststerlingfacepinback1.JPG This is such a cool brooch but I've had no luck trying to sell it on ebay. I am unsure how to describe it. It is stamped 925 and some other set of numbers/letters on the back, so it's sterling with a brass border. It could be religious (Virgin Mary?), or just a modernist face of a woman similar to Modigliani. Do you have any ideas that could help sell it? Thanks.

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Modigliani was my first thought, could be taken from an actual Modigliani sketch or painting. Or as you say, possibly a Virgin Mary in Modigliani style.

3. NewEngland

Thanks - it's good to know you agree. I'm still wondering about the age and possibly origin. Is it 1960s era?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

What are the letters and numbers, other than the 925?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. NewEngland

I can't tell. They are blurred.

6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Id guess 1960s. My very first thought was the Madonna as well.

Christmasjoy and NewEngland like this.
  7. Caribou's House

Caribou's House Well-Known Member

Woman looks African to me and I would label it "African Woman". Much more niche for eBay.

8. NewEngland

Yes, she could be a stylized African woman. Kind of like the Hagenauer mid century sculptures. I found an image of a Carl
    Wood-and-Bronze-Seated-Woman-by-karl-Hagenauer.jpg Hagenauer wood/bronze sculpture that has a similar face.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Ooooo I LIKE that !

10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

My first reaction was "Madonna"; the modernist ones were popular for a while.

11. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

New England, a cropped close up of those numbers or letters-- even if blurry, would be a good thing to post here. Sometimes a boardie will recognize that kind of thing.

Christmasjoy, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  12. NewEngland

It does look like an alien from a 1950s sci fi film! I had it listed for $80.

13. NewEngland

Here's a closeup. It looks like numbers..... ModernistSterlingFacePinCLOSEUP.JPG could it be that the original 925 stamp was messy so they stamped it again?

14. Any Jewelry

Looks like B (flower?) S. Maybe someone knows it.

NewEngland and Christmasjoy like this.
  15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It either ends in a 9 or starts with a 6. There was an off chance it was a gold mark, but I'm not familiar with a caratage that would start with a 6 or an 8, and it looks like brass. It may be a design number.

16. Any Jewelry

People like quirky and unusual.

starsbarking and NewEngland like this.
  17. NewEngland

Well, I know I like quirky and unusual. It's always exciting to find something unique at a consignment shop or church sale. These days, it takes a bit of work to sort thru all the xmas tree shop/chinese junk items to find the good stuff,but it's there!

Lucille.b and Any Jewelry like this.
  18. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

• Because of the elongated face, Modigliani immediately popped into my head too.
    • I do not see the Madonna here but definitely see how you could.
    • While I can make my eyes see something like B&S for the other mark, my gut says it is manufacturer's model number.
    • You could probably describe it as resembling an African mask & stay within the bounds of accuracy.
    • My observation for quite some time now is that you can barely give away silver, sterling or not. I know someone who got what must be the all-time killer steal on an eBay cameo, in part because it is set in silver.
    • I'd go with 70s for time period, but...?

NewEngland likes this.
  19. NewEngland

Thanks for taking the time - I think you are correct about silver. Unless it's a signed designer piece, it's tough to sell.

Bronwen likes this.
  20. Any Jewelry

Or ethnic silver, we're still doing fine. And they call it a niche market.....

Bronwen and NewEngland like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted