Interesting Flea Market Finds

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Barn Owl, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

I'm living in Germany, and each week there are loads of flea markets. I've wanted to get into antique collecting for a while now, and I figured, what better place to begin than here.

The problem is that I'm a total beginner and I don't have a lot of room in my luggage, so I've been collecting lightweight objects. Today, I purchased this lot (and an unshown West German canteen/mess kit) for 20 euros. The ring is .826 danish silver, if the hallmark is legitimate. So far, I've identified the other objects as:
    Bronze East German Pestalozzi Medal
    French mother of pearl souvenir bracelet
    Watch fob with 1939 Swiss coin.
    Bronze Whistle
    Edelweiss Pendant
    West German costume jewelry Cuff Links
    1890-1940s Postcards

I haven't been able to identify the bracelet and brooch yet. The brooch has "34" stamped on the back of the cabochon, but no signatures. Any ideas?

Do you have any suggestions on how I can put my money to good use? Would you call this a poor haul? Also, are there any threads on identifying antique jewelry or flea market finds?

Attached Files:

KingofThings and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Hi, Barn Owl, and welcome!

I think you did just fine with your new purchases. Others will be along to tell you more about them.

Meanwhile, if you choose the "full image" option when you post your photos, they'll show up bigger in your post, so others can see them better, like this:

collection.jpg

3. Barn Owl

Thank you! I didn't know how to use the "full image" option. I'll use that from now on.

Beautiful cat, by the way. Is it part maine coon?

KingofThings, Christmasjoy and SBSVC like this.
  4. Barn Owl

5. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Aww, thanks, Barn Owl.

Nope, he's not Maine Coon at all, as far as I know. (Just fluffy with a plume for a tail.)

He is Joseph, one of the most demanding felines you'd ever want to meet! He's 14 years old, gets brushed daily, and is spoiled rotten! He is a catnip addict, and we are all his enablers.

(And, incidentally, he thanks you for the compliment!)

6. Barn Owl

He reminds me of my cat. She loves belly rubs and being brushed, and if you stop halfway through, she'll swat you into submission. She spends most of the day hiding in the sink, waiting for someone to pass by within the range of her claws.

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Hello, and welcome Barn Owl. A lot of crazy collectors here, maybe some sane ones, but I'm not sure;).

8. Barn Owl

Thank you, Any Jewelry. :) I look forward to getting acquainted with the community.

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Pleasure. Lots to learn here, and insanity apart, we're a nice bunch.
    We are 'sort of' neighbours, I live in The Netherlands.

10. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

Welcome. Antiques and animals. Sounds like fun to me.

11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Oh, Trust Us, LOTS OF LEARNING and sharing going on here, but we DO have a Great time while doing it!!!!!!!! BTW, Hi and WELCOME, @Barn Owl!!!!!!!:):):):)

12. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome and please always do as SBSVC states.

Barn Owl likes this.
  13. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

WELCOME Barn Owl !!! Joy.

Barn Owl and KingofThings like this.
  14. Barn Owl

Thank you everyone for the warm welcomes! :)

15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The metal on the front of the brooch appears to have something applied to make it look darker. Is that how it looks to you? The pin on the back of the brooch appears fairly modern, but may also have been applied later.

I like the unidentified mother-of-pearl (MOP) bracelet. Do the MOP pieces on the ends have cracks in them, or is that just an illusion from the photo?

Christmasjoy and Barn Owl like this.
  16. Barn Owl

I think so. It may just be tarnish. I can't tell if the cabochon in the middle is hematite, metal, or glass. The pin is what I think is called a C-clasp.

Yeah, they're cracked. It's strange though, because the cracks are almost identical. I don't think it was intentional though. I know it lowers the value of the piece (if indeed the piece has any value), but I liked the bracelet so I decided to buy it.

Figtree3 and Christmasjoy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted