Featured Interesting French Correspondence

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by rhiwfield, Jun 21, 2018.

1. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

In April 2017 my wife bought an auction lot of ephemera that has proved a constant delight to research. It comprised c3,000 items ranging from the 17thC-to late 20thC.

Some pieces were arbitrarily put in a folder marked Interesting French Correspondence, though closer examination suggest some may not be interesting and not all are French!

So, by request, I will photo the contents over the next week and post them here.

1. 1869 letter from The Prince de la Tour d'Auvergne. I note the address is Albert Gate House (French Embassy?)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

:woot:What a beautiful script, and ceremonial terms! Far from the nowadays texting fashion :facepalm:;)

I love the term "asile des idiots":nurse::bucktooth::hilarious:

cxgirl, Bronwen, rhiwfield and 2 others like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

But he regretfully won't be able to lay the first stone for the asile des idiots, maybe scared he will have to finish building it and be committed?:nailbiting:
    I will leave the translation to you.:)

Bronwen, rhiwfield and kyratango like this.
  4. rhiwfield

2. Invitation from Prince Borghese
    [​IMG]

5. rhiwfield

He was French Ambassador to the UK at the time, but the following month he was appointed Minister of Foreign Affairs, a post which seemed to have rapidly revolving doors!

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I'd like to know the story behind that first one.

7. rhiwfield

So would I.

I'm guessing the asylum was one of two being built by the Metropolitan Asylums board in London and started in 1869 Link:http://www.workhouses.org.uk/MAB/

But why the French ambassador should be asked to lay the foundation stone, and who Wm Nicholas was, I have no clue

cxgirl, moreotherstuff and kyratango like this.
  8. rhiwfield

Getting harder:

3. 1830 letter from Le sous-prefet, Gourdon
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. rhiwfield

4. 1750 (?) itemised bill/invoice
    [​IMG]

10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

So interesting ... I don't know any French, except for very obvious words here and there. So, can't help with these.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Kyra said she'd translate, so I leave it entirely up to her.:) She'll see them when she gets back.

kyratango and Figtree3 like this.
  12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

They might have written to several people, looking for some sort of celebrity to come to the ceremony. For the publicity of course. At that time, a French ambassador would have been socially prominent.

13. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think a receipt rather than an invoice, but I don't know for what.

14. kyratango

edited to cancel first answer:bucktooth:

rhiwfield likes this.
  15. rhiwfield

That is a big step forward! Thank you!

16. kyratango

Glad to have been of some help :happy:

17. kyratango

About tobacco plantation!

It says:

OBJET: TABAC

à monsieur le maire de la ville de GRAMAT.

Monsieur, quoique la délivrance d'un permis de culture au sieur Antoine Cavalié soi l'effet d'une erreur, puisque ce planteur avait été interdit et maintenu dans cette interdiction par une décision ultérieure, vous pouvez le laisser jouir de son permis en considération de ce que la saison est trop avancée pour qu'il puisse employer sa terre à une autre culture.
    mais je vous prie de bien L' avertir que la moindre contravention au règlement lui ferait appliquer une interdiction permanente.
    j'ai l'honneur d'être......monsieur, votre très humble serviteur.

Translation:

SUBJECT: TOBACCO

To the Mayor of the city of GRAMAT.

Sir, although the issue of a cultivation permit to Mr. Antoine Cavalié is the effect of an error, since this planter was prohibited and maintained in this prohibition by a subsequent decision, you can let him enjoy his permit in consideration that the season is too advanced for him to use his land to another crop.
    but I beg you to warn him that the slightest contravention of the regulations would make him apply a permanent ban.
    I have the honor to be ...... sir, your most humble servant.

Phew... now I need a good cigarette!:sorry::joyful:

18. rhiwfield

Thank you again!

Although I have another reference to French tobacco production, it still seems odd to think of this as a French crop.

19. Any Jewelry

I have some tobacco leaves a friend gave to me after he stayed in the farmhouse of a tobacco plantation in the south of France.

20. rhiwfield

What I find interesting is that a permit was required in 1830.

I wonder whether that is still the case?

Draft saved Draft deleted