Interesting glass box.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by popsycat, Apr 28, 2020.

1. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

Quite new, but had to buy it. Partner spotted it immediately what it was.[​IMG]

Bronwen likes this.
  2. popsycat

3. popsycat

The water is in it just to stop it tipping backwards.[​IMG]

4. popsycat

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

6. popsycat

No. Look at the shape. My partner spotted it immediately. I would never have guessed. Had to buy it, although quite new. I thought I could fill it with chocs as a present some day.

7. popsycat

It is 2 drinking glasses. The base is broken off the lid and a decorative button put on the break. Very clever. I have never seen that before, or else not noticed before if I have seen another and bypassed because of the newness. I was going to leave this until it was pointed out to me.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    PortableTreasures likes this.
  8. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

Can you separate the glasses?

9. popsycat

No, the lid is hinged. The third photo down shows the construction.

10. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

A bit of a puzzle to my eye. You say, "quite new", so you think this conversion (if that's what it is) was done recently? I can't imagine someone going to the trouble of adding the detailed metal work, hinge, etc. Thinking it was always meant to be like this, but wait for others because I'm just guessing!

If older, I suppose possible ?

Interesting piece!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  11. popsycat

As soon as you hold it, you realise it is a drinking glass. You can see the glass ring at the top, it is smoothed don to fit the metal top. The ring on the base is the same as the ring on the top, although not obvious from the pic. I live in France, so lots and lots of decorative metalwork here.

Lucille.b likes this.
  12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

AHA! Clever.

popsycat likes this.
  13. lizjewel

lizjewel Well-Known Member

@popsycat ... think I found the Fabergé egg that someone removed from your lovely holder:
    upload_2020-4-28_11-36-47.png

14. popsycat

I have the Fabergé egg. I decided not to post it as I did not want to create jealousy on the boards. We have enough to cope with at the moment.

komokwa likes this.
  15. popsycat

My partner thinks it's older.

16. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Doesn't it just fall over if you open it empty, or does the top fold all the way down to give two conjoined vessels?

17. lizjewel

lizjewel Well-Known Member

So you should really be Siamese twins to drink out of the conjoined glasses? Or very very very close...:bag:

18. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

That is one of the more clever repurposing of a damaged item that I have ever seen. I agree filled with chocolate next Easter it would make a delightful gift.

popsycat likes this.
  19. popsycat

It falls over. Water was put in to weigh it down to take the pic.

Draft saved Draft deleted