Interesting Glass vase Glows Under Black Light

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kraftblue, Mar 26, 2016.

1. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

This vase stands 5 7/8" tall. The top measures 2 3/4" across. It is green and orange color with red blotches in the mix. Unsigned. Any help?

glass1.JPG glass2.JPG glass3.JPG glass4.JPG glass5.JPG glass6.JPG glass7.JPG

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

The unpolished bottom makes me think Chinese , but it reminds me of an Italian vase . Either way , I like it .

3. kraftblue

The bottom is polished and smooth

4. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The yellow is probably unanium in the glaze. The UV light excites some of the outer electrons enough to couse flouescence.

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

My mistake . The pontil looks unpolished , wich makes me think Chinese .

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd be looking at a Maltese maker on that.

7. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Looking at this I keep thinking that the original gather had to be glass with uranium then rolled in blue and yellow frit and blown to shape. Hopefully Tom will come by and help us out. I do not think Chinese.

Cherryhill likes this.
  8. kraftblue

Thanks Owned and George

9. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Tom Came by, at least this Tom came by. Yeah, the body (first gather) probably had some uranium in it, may have been left from a previous batch in the pot or may have been intentional, doesn't really matter, its color is overwhelmed by the frit pick-up. No comment on source, I don't know.

10. kraftblue

Thank you for all the help. Guess I can try to list this as an unknown maker.

Kath

11. George Nesmith

Thanks Tom I may actually have learned something from your efforts LOL

12. kraftblue

Looking thru my Boston Sandwich glass book on another item...Can this possibly be Vasa Murrhina Art Glass?

13. George Nesmith

I doubt it or Cherryhill would have suggested it. You might check that in Fenton but again not likely.

14. kraftblue

Thanks George

Draft saved Draft deleted