Featured Interesting Heavily carved mirror frame for members.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by giotto, Feb 20, 2020.

1. giotto

giotto Active Member

Hi Members
    I have posted this mirror frame made in European walnut that I am now using for a painting that I have had for about 40years.
    I am not sure where it was made. When I purchased it I felt Black Forest in Germany or maybe Brienz, Switzerland. After visiting Brienz and Germany(did not get to the Black Forest area) I am still not sure where exactly it was carved. Did not see anything similar.

There are some similarities on some furniture carved in Brienz in a book I have .
    Swiss Carvings ,The Art of the "Black Forest" 1820-1940.

It is as bought condition ,I have not yet decided if I am going to strip it back to original color or leave as it is (probably will leave)

Regards Giotto
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

komokwa, ulilwitch, Aquitaine and 5 others like this.
  2. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Wow! So intricate carving!

3. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

All I would do is a wash with soapy water and a soft paint brush followed by a rinse and dry.

4. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Lovely - have sold a couple similar at auction and I cataloged them both as Black Forest style from the area of Brienz in Swizerland. Yours is likely from there as well.

5. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

[​IMG]
    Described as antique Black Forest...but it ain't got nothin on yours!:joyful:

ulilwitch, kyratango and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  6. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Gorgeous piece. You really have some fine stuff!

ulilwitch and kyratango like this.
  7. Msalicia

Msalicia Well-Known Member

8. Msalicia

Msalicia Well-Known Member

I would not strip. You have no idea what glue may be hidden and stripper can destroy glue. I have a Black Forest clock and the color is very similar. Get out a good soap, toothbrush, q-tips and have at it. You will be amazed at how much brighter it will be. I would use TSP cleaner ( powder) mix and spray on small areas and let sit briefly(follow instructions on box) I would spray to rinse also and drip off some of the dirt then wipe with cotton cloth and get crevices. Not a small job. But don’t rush it’s too beautiful to strip.

9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@giotto, WHEN cleaning, be mindful of the fact that there is writing on the wood leaves from the 4th image down!! You may have already seen it and are aware of it....and you may come across more writing elsewhere! Not sure what it says though......I couldn't make the image any less blurry on closeup......it is stunning carving!!

POSS 2ND WRITNG.jpg

ulilwitch likes this.
  10. giotto

giotto Active Member

Hello I replied to a few posts this morning,is there are reason that they are not there?

Regards Giotto.

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

you either did not hit POST REPLY . ( it happens) ........or they were taken down....for some reason..

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  12. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Its a conspiracy :rolleyes:

popsycat, komokwa and BoudiccaJones like this.
  13. giotto

giotto Active Member

Hello
    Size comparison of the two carved frames I have.
    Regards Giotto
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KikoBlueEyes and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted