Interesting piece of WMF, but not the collectable type.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by popsycat, Apr 30, 2020.

1. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

WMFM mark, the M for brass. An interesting old piece. 9"wide by 6" deep. Really hard to find the mark.[​IMG]

quirkygirl and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. popsycat

Bought it because it was really cheap. Did not find the mark until later.[​IMG]

quirkygirl likes this.
  3. popsycat

Sorry to bore you with a third pic.[​IMG]

4. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Nice glass should overcome the metal addition.

5. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

:hilarious: Agreed!

Popsy, I'm sorry, I cannot tell from your words above, is the glass marked, please? :hungry: (if so, where?) :happy:

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. popsycat

Just a small WMFM on the base, typically small and hard to spot. The glass is not marked. Would you expect a different type of glass on this?

antidiem and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

No this is characteristic of the styles especially on a base like that.

Christmasjoy and pearlsnblume like this.
  8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

glass seems okay. but Messing was not a favorite with the public. no build-up of natural patina or oxydation.
    I wonder if yours is a multifunctional foot where the bowl could be exchanged ?
    wmfb (728x1024).jpg

popsycat likes this.
  9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Nice piece and looks right to me. Despite not being the type of WMF that most people seek, would think the mark enhances the value of this a bit.

popsycat and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  10. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

No, I'd expect EXACTLY this brass base to sully the glass piece! ;)
    In this case, it's acceptable because the glass is so pretty and the brass is somewhat a simple design (with the Mallard takeoffs) and does not detract from the glass. That is what I meant above, when I said "Agreed!" ;)

Indeed, it may be.

Agreed.

popsycat likes this.
  11. popsycat

Thanks Fid, that is interesting. In the past, when I have had pieces this age, the glass has always been beautifully engraved glass, but the metal mounts have been nicer.

antidiem likes this.
  12. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

WMF often worked with oxydisation to bring out the Jugendstil adornments better - looked a bit like shades that gave more depth. not possible with brass.

antidiem likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted