Interesting piece that needs work

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by jeasta, May 18, 2018.

1. jeasta

jeasta Well-Known Member

I found this at a garage sale today and got it for free because it needs work, but the painted front called to me. I was wondering if anyone knows what it is and when it was made. It opens by pushing the button in front and lifting the lid. I thought maybe it held glasses. It has solid bones.

MVIMG_20180518_130424-1457x1484.jpg
    IMG_20180518_130517-1492x1784.jpg

Huntingtreasure and komokwa like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

interesting...

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

What a charming piece,so sad about the water damage. The blonde interior makes me think 1940s-50s piece that someone converted into a bar(maybe a sewing cabinet) and "countrified" ,maybe they used an old hope chest? What are the dimensions?

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree that someone has made this from old furniture parts.

komokwa likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like pipe holders.....kinda....

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That was my first thought too - pipe holder. Those round holes in the shelf whatsits inside the doors aren't for sewing; they're for hanging pipes. It could be for liquor too, for that matter, but not sewing. If it were me I'd clear coat over that finish and leave as is if you're into the shabby look. It looks like someone had it outside or possibly up in an attic.

7. jeasta

jeasta Well-Known Member

It measures 16.5" deep, 26" wide and 33.25" tall with the wheels. A clear coat was exactly what I was thinking. It was kept outside, in Houston, so really rainy and humid. Fortunately, the only thing that really needs to be replaced is the bottom, and I think I'm going to take out the glass/pipe holder on the left, because it is rotten.

8. jeasta

jeasta Well-Known Member

I may also put in a small shelf on the left side.

Edit: The interior is painted yellow. That's not the color of the wood.

9. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Looks to me like a circa 1930s Rancho Monterey style piece, probably a little bar cabinet - original, but so sadly abused...

~Cheryl

komokwa and jeasta like this.
  10. jeasta

jeasta Well-Known Member

I think you are exactly right! When searching for Rancho Monterey bars, I found this one, which is probably what mine looked like minus the wheels. It is a shame how people don't take care of things, but if it had been taken care of, I probably never would have found it at a yard sale. So silver linings... Thanks so much for all the help!

Edit: Of course mine was painted slightly differently with the white background instead of yellow. So pretty!

b4430e7914c9a12f1e99759ba548fd9c.jpg

johnnycb09 and DragonflyWink like this.
  11. DragonflyWink

Nice that you found one like it - have seen the yellow and white pieces before, but they're not common...

~Cheryl

12. DragonflyWink

Now looking at the pic of the other piece on my laptop rather than phone, and it's clear that your piece was the same color as the other one - the dark 'antiquing' coat is just worn off (believe they called the white 'ivory').

~Cheryl

jeasta likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted