Interesting post mortem photographs

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Mill Cove Treasures, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Actually, the part about using posing stands to "prop up" corpses is not correct. There are a large number of photo experts who are members of photo groups on Facebook and elsewhere who are constantly trying to debunk this myth. There is no way a posing stand could hold up a standing dead body. And how would you even get a corpse to stand, short of taxidermy?

In the pictures showing under this link, many of the ones lying down are post mortem. Some are not... and NONE of the standing ones are post mortem. The sitting ones might vary. -- I do not collect post mortem photos but there are many who do, and know what they are talking about.

3. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

LOL! I'm not sure that "enjoy" is the word I would use...

4. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Some folks "enjoy" the crucifix with a crucified Jesus displayed ;) :p

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Post mortems creep me out. If I found one cheap I'd buy it because I know they are salable. But you can bet I'd list it fast, and I'd be happier once it was out the door. So much pain in those photos.

tandkpaxton, cartoongirl and Figtree3 like this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I have that same reaction overall. Some of the photos don't bother me, and I know it was a custom of the time, but I don't think I could collect them.

7. spirit-of-shiloh

One evening on the bay boards,someone posted a link to memento mori and I went there. I had never seen any before and was quite taken aback:eek: I actually cried when I saw the babies and small children as I could see some of the splotches on their faces :(.
    The closest I ever came to a memento mori is a pic of my G granny standing in front of my gg grands grave.:(

8. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

We've gone back and forth over this one of my great-grandmother, Emma, and a baby. My cousin insisted it was her grandmother. I have a photo of my g-grandparents holding my grandmother and she was sitting up straight. I know Emma lost several babies and I think this is a memento mori. Sorry for the blurry pic, but it's up on the wall.

2014-12-05 11.38.33 (600x800).jpg

9. tandkpaxton

tandkpaxton Member

I have a love/hate relationship with post mortems. I, too, was always happy to find one at a bargain for resale, but did not like having them in the house, usually relisted them ASAP.

Agree with fig that several of the images on that link are not post mortems.

The image posted by Bev most likely is one.

10. spirit-of-shiloh

So nice to see you post Tim. :cat:

tandkpaxton likes this.
  11. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Fascinating stuff. Post-mortem photography has fascinated me, although I don't think I could have one in the house!!

And this thing about posing stands holding up dead bodies is ludicrous. I wish people would find out what a posing stand is actually FOR, before they make such statements.

Figtree3 likes this.
  12. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

My feeling about my g-grandmother's photo is that although the baby is totally limp, as if asleep, the eyes are open so I'm certain it's dead. My mother said Emma had a nervous breakdown after each child was born (today we'd call it post-partum depression) and my g-grandfather would put her in an institution. Finally, she never came out. She spent the last 17 years of her life in the institution. I'd say having to pose with dead babies might have done it. There were five children who lived.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  13. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

There is a look of profound and resigned devastation on her face - sad, but compelling...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
    spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  14. spirit-of-shiloh

Back in the day there were so many diseases that took babies,kids and adults that have since been eradicated. No wonder the sadness of those who lost so many loved ones :(
    Its a wonder that all who are here today survived. We can thank our genes and our ancestors as being the "fit of the fittest".:p

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted