Interesting Postcard from old NYC

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by KosmoCramer, Aug 15, 2020.

1. KosmoCramer

KosmoCramer Active Member

Cool piece of NYC history I found in a local antique shop.

A post card with a picture of the Mount Washington Presbyterian Church in Inwood, NY (Northern Manhattan). Even cooler it appears to have a message regarding the pastors... potentially a note written by the pastor Dr George S Payson who served there from 1872 to 1914. A street and park in that neighborhood also bear the name Payson today.

(Would you think the signature is from Payson... or does it appear to be a note from someone else describing the church?)

34AEEEAC-C8A3-4EB8-BF96-44C2304BB5C5.jpeg B631D431-90D0-4FEC-BE0B-FEE5A7F2AF95.jpeg

Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Did you forget your photographs?

Debora

3. KosmoCramer

Sorry... just fixed it

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Not a problem. Happens to the best of us.

Debora

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think it's a souvenir post card from an unknown writer sent in an envelope to the recipient. The text is not written in a way that would indicate Payson was the writer. "... the present one [with arrow to insert his name] Dr. George S. Payson since 1872." I would think a woman's hand.

Debora

Bronwen and Bakersgma like this.
  6. KosmoCramer

I was leaning the same way thinking it was a note from someone else. I never even realized the line/arrow.. thank you!

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Pleasure!

Debora

8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

'Where Dr. and I are members.' Surely the wife writing; husband a different Dr.

I live a short distance from this church. Pass it sometimes going to the restaurant at Tubby Hook or to Inwood Hill Park, which has trees closer to being old growth than any others in Manhattan & an oyster shell midden left by the Lenape.

KosmoCramer likes this.
  9. KosmoCramer

Thank you
    I drive by the area on my commute almost every day. I love looking at old photos of NYC... especially areas like inwood... it was a country getaway in a big city... crazy how quickly the city developed from the beginning of the 20th century to the 1940s-1950s

Bronwen likes this.
  10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

It was the orchards, cherries I've heard, of the Dyckman family. There's a remnant of their buildings on Broadway at 204th.

KosmoCramer likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted