Featured Interesting repairs, clever fixes and repurposing

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by say_it_slowly, Jan 9, 2015.

1. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I got to thinking that there are some interesting repairs, fixes and re-uses done by people in the past as well as in the present. I thought it might be fun to see what people have done and are doing. I'm sure everyone has some ideas and examples. I'm not very clever myself but love what other's do.

These are some of mine from the 17th-19th Centuries.

This is the remains of a very old German stoneware jug. It must have been broken rather badly so someone filed off the neck, sanded off the remains of the handle and then carved a piece of wood to replace part of the missing foot. I guess it's a vase now.

3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

Probably looked like this once (from a Bonham's auction).

[​IMG]

And here is another old German jug that was broken and had the hole in the base filled with lead. That's right, lead. I hope they didn't drink from it too often.

6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg

And of course there are things salvaged by repairing with metal staples. This is a huge pitcher that someone must have thought highly of.

1.jpg 2.jpg

2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

My current avatar is from a period of boredom last winter where I created creatures from old electronics parts
    Tube Man.jpg

3. say_it_slowly

Hysterical!

lloyd249 likes this.
  4. maryislgal

maryislgal Well-Known Member

Love it !!!!!!!

lloyd249 likes this.
  5. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

terry
    You definitely had too much time on your hands LOL

(ok davey - need a picture of a clock tied on top of a hand)

8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

There's Japanese repair technique that uses lacquer mixed with powdered metals (gold, silver, platinum) that is very attractive. It's called kintsugi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kintsugi

10. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

A popular thing with pen collectors (myself included) is to repurpose old silverware chests as pen-storage/display cases. Old silverware chests are a dime a dozen, and most are in terrible condition. So it's easy to just turn them into display-cases/storage cases.

11. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Terry,you could SO sell those ! They are adorable !

bercrystal likes this.
  12. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Say_it, I feel strongly about that giant pitcher. I wouldn't care if it were repaired with bubble gum or Scotch tape!!

bercrystal, kyratango and lloyd249 like this.
  13. say_it_slowly

Ya know silver I'd be happy to send it to you. I've got soooo much stuff and it's lost around here. It's 13" high so really a big one. If you want it just send me a private message with your address. It could use a better home.

14. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

15. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I'm sure I've seen the decoration on that pitcher somewhere previous. Maybe in one of the "Styles of Ornament" books.

I guess I can get away with one last showing of my lamp re-purposed as a Christmas tree (now dismantled).

[​IMG]

16. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Don't know if you all have seen the garden art made from all the old glassware that no one seems to want .......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

There's quite a cottage industry for those here, Brad!

18. say_it_slowly

Brad those are especially nice! I've seen the ceramic cup and saucer garden art but when googling for a nice example I found this birdfeeder which I think is brilliant!
    [​IMG]

19. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi More otherstuff
    That is so beautiful. It has me second thinking of a repair I need to do. It is a pottery vase that does not fit well together broken. I have some cans of bronze powder in different shades I wonder if I can combine them with the glue to "fill in" the widened cracks. Something to keep me up tonight thinking about.:arghh:
    greg

kyratango and spirit-of-shiloh like this.
  20. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Silver,
    Happy belated Christmas!!!!!! That pitcher is down right gorgous.
    greg

Draft saved Draft deleted