Interesting Rocker

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by idavan, May 29, 2020.

1. idavan

idavan New Member

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me anything about this rocker. My first thought was that it could be hand-crafted. 20200529_151051.jpg 20200529_151059.jpg 20200529_151107.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, idavan! I'm not a furniture expert, but I will tag a couple for you.

@Ghopper1924 @verybrad

While we wait, I'll just say that it appears that the square of wood in the center of the seat might be a plywood replacement for some other material. If you could post a picture of that part from the underside, that might help.

judy likes this.
  3. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Not much hand crafting here; looks like a machine-made early-to mid-20th century rocker. I like the unusual bamboo-like stiles on the back. Value would be minimal in today's depressed brown furniture market. And yes, the square of wood on the seat is replacement.

judy, patd8643 and Bakersgma like this.
  4. idavan

idavan New Member

I agree that the seat square is an insert. I don't have a picture from underneath, but it does have small brackets that would allow removal. I like the way the legs are put into the rocker. I like that it's low to the ground. It's just a cute rocking chair.

5. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

It IS a cute rocker. Hold on to it! :)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Looks mid 60s red maple rocker to me.

If you are going to keep it. Get some Howard's Restor-A-Finish. I would use the Cherry (small can is all you need).
    Then finish it off with the feed and wax.

Draft saved Draft deleted