Interesting Video of Korean Potters

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by desperate_fun, Oct 21, 2014.

1. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

2. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Loved the video and the amazing pottery being made. :)

3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Thanks for sharing. It was amazing to watch.
    greg

4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Beautiful video. I often think of a lot of Chinese and other pottery coming out these days that's handmade and sometimes beautifully glazed that is being sold cheap.

5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    It was the same back in the 1970s. I lived Chinatown in NYC. All of the stuff that was shipped from China where shipped in large crocks with beautiful dragons and designs on them. they were then broken up and disposed of when they were empty. I started buying them from the food markets. They thought I was crazy but they made money and did not have to pay to have them removed. I would clean them up and put a round glass top on them and sell them for 100 bucks. I paid 25 dollars for them and 10 bucks for the tops. The designers bought them as fast as I could "make" them. Then in the 80s they started to buy them from China and had them white glazed with koi and plants and called them Fish bowls. The ones in the 70s were brown, yellow and tan with some green an blue accents but they had dark brown and blak interiors. They were just common crocks like our salt glazed crocks from the 1880s to the 1920s. They were common, cheap but still had beauty.
    greg

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  6. CCA

CCA aka candace9512

thanks for that...absolutely fascinating!

7. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Wow, that was fascinating! Thanks for sharing!

Draft saved Draft deleted