Featured Interesting Vintage Sequin Bag

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by kraftblue, Feb 16, 2020.

1. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

I have never seen any purse/bag like this before.5 1/4" long and 5 1/2" wide. Top has a design. The inside is silky and is very clean with no tears. What do you call this?

purse1.JPG purse2.JPG purse3.JPG purse4.JPG

dude, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Gate neck. A Google Images search will bring up similars.

Debora

3. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes and yes.

Debora

dude, Lucille.b, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  6. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

Thanks. Ebay has Gold and silver color from Whiting & Davis...$20+ average price. Mine has no tag.

7. flipper

I am not sure about the price or the date, but because kraftblue had never seen such a bag and did not know what it was called, I am merely providing an example.

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

No one is criticizing you, flipper. You helped, which is always appreciated.
    Cluttered commented on the seller's lack of knowledge and high expectations. That is also help, so kraft can get the right perspective.

9. flipper

No problem
    I am definitely not a sequin bag connoisseur.

dude, Lucille.b and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I've also heard them referred to as "(expandable) accordion neck" bags.

Looks like it is in nice shape!

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

So have I.

pearlsnblume, dude and Lucille.b like this.
  12. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

pearlsnblume likes this.
  13. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I have my mother's gold mesh W&D bag here somewhere. I love the soft feel of the mesh.

14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Miser's purse here, or ma called them dolly bags. Sequins look 1960s to me.Very nice frame.

15. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Eh, that Poshmark seller is just way, way off. Sturdy plastic sequins like these weren't in existence until around the 1930s, a bit prior to that they were very delicate, made of brittle or even water-soluble materials, and metal was used before that - I'd guess 1940s-'60s for this bag and the other. The gate-top frame was in use from at least around the turn of the century, more often on crocheted, fabric and/or beaded bags (they could be purchased for home craft too), Whiting & Davis started using the gate-top in the 1920s and continued into '60s.

My first W&D armor-mesh bag was a gate-top with unusual plates textured with tiny circles, purchased at a flea market when I was in high school - any plating other than on the top of the cap was gone, so it had a soft brass surface, and it was coming apart, but still had the original lining and label wadded in it, can remember finding very thin brass rod at a local hardware store to make jump-rings because brass wire of the same diameter was too flimsy (still have a few of those tiny rings), took a lot of hours to put it back together, carefully bending the little prongs on the back of the plates over the rings, washing the lining and stitching it back in place, but it has always continued to give me pleasure every time I hold it...

~Cheryl

16. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Since Whiting and Davis gate tops are being discussed here... did Whiting and Davis ALWAYS label their gatetops??

Cheerio,
    Leslie

pearlsnblume likes this.
  17. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

W&D calls it "gate top".

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted