Featured Internally painted vase?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Jacqui, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Jacqui

Jacqui Active Member

A5F4BFDD-07F3-4D91-AEF3-DA8D9D80DB6C.jpeg this was apparently bought in America in the very early 1900’s and carried by its purchaser on a boat to England all those years ago and it’s still in one piece, it’s large it’s 45cm in height does anyone have any idea who would have made such a beautiful object?

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I'm assuming this is glass.
    Rather than Internally Painted, you might use the term "Reverse Painted".

From the pictures, to me it looks like high glaze pottery.
    Can we see a picture of the bottom please.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It looks ceramic to me as well, but if it is painted from the inside it is glass, of course. Jacqui has it in hand, but more photos would help.
    Another term is interior painted, painted on the inside rather than on the back. Like Chinese interior painted snuff bottles.

kyratango likes this.
  4. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

I think it is indeed glass!
    A search for "antique inside reverse painting glass vase" gave these, but pinterest dead link:bucktooth:
    [​IMG]

5. Jacqui

Jacqui Active Member

50F2C941-2317-448A-BB98-4749FC6F28A4.jpeg Wow thanks everyone, its definitely glass, here is a pic of the bottom and hopefully a clearer one of all of it 8639F3A1-30D3-4B03-B6E2-79C687660E6C.jpeg

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  6. Jacqui

Jacqui Active Member

89508676-383D-4D4F-B6EF-10CD10F40846.jpeg 5F0B523D-67CF-4391-B9DF-E1E42DFEB030.jpeg This is the lid which is looking a little sorry for itself.

7. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

Wow reverse painted and the detail on the petals is so nice I can't help but it is lovely

8. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

The lass appears to be colorless in 3rd photo where the black paint appears to be worn off.It would have been applied after the flowers. I do not see brus strokes and am think or likely a decal.

9. Jacqui

Jacqui Active Member

10. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

My best friend used to give me reverse painted Christmas tree ornaments. This was so we could laugh about how very tiny people crept inside to paint them. I still can't figure out how they do it with only a small hole at the top.

kyratango and Jacqui like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

kyratango and Jacqui like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted