Featured Intriguing Tiny Stanley Shrunk Ruler - any ideas about use ??

Discussion in 'Tools' started by CatintheAttic, Mar 20, 2017.

1. CatintheAttic

CatintheAttic Member

Hello, I got this tiny little ruler at a yard sale and I'm really intrigued by it. I've never seen such a small ruler and can't find any reference to anything similar on the internet. The ruler is marked "Stanley London Shrunk". it is beautifully made of boxwood and only measures slightly over 2" long. At first I thought it might have been cut down but the ends are so smooth and don't look at all as though this has happened. It is also marked "5 feet or 6 ins to a mile links". There are no markings on the underside.
    I'd really like to find out what the purpose of this tiny little rule would have been - it must have had a specific use. Or could it possibly be a sample piece? I just don't know.
    Any thoughts or information would be greatly appreciated.
    Clare

ruler1.JPG ruler2.JPG

Attached Files:

808 raver, KingofThings and judy like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Wonder how it might relate to map reading?
    Or for drawing maps?

Melissa Brown, KingofThings and judy like this.
  3. CatintheAttic

CatintheAttic Member

Hi cluttered - that's definitely a thought - I'll have a look at map reading and cartography and let you know if I come up with anything. Clare

KingofThings likes this.
  4. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

It would be one of a set of rules, I have had them complete and cased from 2 inchh to 12 inch. Probaly some special use in drafting since they were associated with a draftiing instrument set.

5. CatintheAttic

CatintheAttic Member

Hello - that solves it. I've found images of a few examples as part of drafting sets. Thanks for your help. Clare

6. Melissa Brown

Melissa Brown Well-Known Member

Love this!!!! If you decide to part with it, please let me know?

Edited to add: Oh! I just saw this thread is from March! Someone must have liked it and bumped it up. Oh well, if you still have this.... @CatintheAttic....

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted