Inuit Art Print

Discussion in 'Art' started by cxgirl, Apr 28, 2015.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I picked this up today and trying to figure out who the artist is. There is a small embossed stamp with symbols - figured that out next post, also 36/50 plus more symbols along the bottom. I deciphered the symbols in the 3rd post.
    This is on thin paper, dated 1985.
    Has some rubbing to it and some wrinkles but I can't see any tears to the paper.
    Any ideas appreciated.
    Thanks for looking.
    DSC03839.jpg DSC03845.jpg DSC03840.jpg DSC03841.jpg DSC03842.jpg

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  2. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

KingofThings likes this.
  3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I deciphered the symbols but have no idea what it is supposed to say -
    ku li sa ja mu, sa na si ma ju, i ni gi, i nu gu ti sa si u tu, ku ma lu tu ks la, pu vi ni tu, ku i pi, ks la ta

KingofThings likes this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

You'll have to wait for MR London to show up....

KingofThings likes this.
  5. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

Sorry for the delay..had to drink some coffee and go through my catalogs. The piece is entitled "A Father & Son In Search Of Food" by Qumaluk Tulalak & Mary Quamaluk. It is image #33 from the 1986 Povungnituk catalog.

Sadly, for whatever reason, the printmakers from Povunituq opted to annotate their works in Inuktituk rather than English. As a result, the buying public in the South had no means of identifying the artists or understanding the titles. For example, the last three words at the right read Pu Vi Nit Tu, Ki I Vi, Ka Na Ta or Puvirnituq, Quebec, Canada.

According to the catalog: "This is Qumaluk's own story. Qumaluk was always busy before they had the co-operative. Peter Qumaluk. Hungry Dog. Qumaluk Tulakak"

komokwa, cxgirl and Lucille.b like this.
  6. Mark London

Forgot to mention that the issue price in 1985 was $150.00 unframed.

cxgirl likes this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Dear Sir::angelic:
    Would the creases in the paper affect the resale value ?

cxgirl likes this.
  8. Mark London

This is one of those cases where it would only be worth restoring if you intend to keep the piece and the creases bother you. The frame seems to be decent from the front (not sure about the reverse or the interior). I'd keep it as is seeing as it is only worth about $300-$400 Canadian (framed) and the restoration would cost about $100.00

kentworld, komokwa and cxgirl like this.
  9. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Wonderful! Thanks very much @Mark London! I don't think I would have been able to figure that out.
    It is in a thin metal frame that doesn't look very good. I have a bunch around here so will find a nicer one for it. There isn't anyone local that does restoration work, but I don't mind the creases.
    Thanks again!

Draft saved Draft deleted