Inuit Dolls

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by cxgirl, Sep 12, 2014.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have 3 dolls that I'm trying to figure out the age of them.
    The little one is 6" tall, hide boots, the outfit is made of duffel material.
    The mom doll is 10" tall & has the baby in her hood, the dad is 12" tall. Their outfits are made of cotton (?).
    any information is great!
    thanks for looking
    Mary
    DSC08116.jpg DSC08117.jpg DSC08119.jpg DSC08120.jpg DSC08121.jpg DSC08122.jpg

elarnia and spirit-of-shiloh like this.
  2. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thanks Wendy! Yes the stitching on the 2 bigger dolls makes me think they were made for someone - I like the baby in the hood.

4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Those are very cool dolls. I like the baby in the hood too.

5. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

6. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

The bo ydoes look like he was made more carefully, and with all handstitching?

Maybe he was purchased, and the mom and dad then homemade to go with him? The only caveat to this would be if the green trim on mom's boots is the same fabric as the trim on the boy's coat.

7. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I'm not an expert on Inuit dolls, but I have had several over the years; and here are my thoughts:
    Most of these dolls were made for sale, and not for use as toys by natives. They were not usually signed, but often are quite well-made and can be quite collectible. As here, they often show native clothing styles in authentic detail.

I'd guess that the smaller doll was not made by the same person as the larger dolls, given the significant differences in construction techniques and materials; and I'd also think that it represents an adult costume, rather than a child's - just in a smaller format. As Pat mentioned, a close look at the two areas of green fabric might shed some light on this. The faces do show a similar type of construction; but Inuit dolls only have a limited range of facial materials; the faces can be ivory or bone, wood, fabric, leather.....that is about all that is available.

I have seen some collector books on Inuit dolls, but they probably would not be very helpful unless your dolls were by one of the artists featured in the books - and though there are a great many makers, only a few are famous or well-known.
    I do think these are pretty nice, and the larger ones especially may have a little age to them, possibly 1980-1990.

8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Wow, good eyes Pat! I never noticed they were the same - will include a close-up photo. Looking through photos on-line this green colour seems to be used quite a bit. Will also include a photo I have of an Inuit Owl packing doll, (the babies are in the hood with these dolls). This was purchased in Spence Bay in 1987.
    DSC08333.jpg 100_4285.jpg 100_4293.jpg

antidiem likes this.
  9. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thanks fakes! I didn't see your post when I posted mine. From looking at the stitching I agree they would have been made by different people, or maybe the larger ones were the first attempt at making dolls - don't think I will ever know.

10. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

The owl is cute...
    I have 2 dolls, somewhere... the girl is a commercial doll, but with a nice hand-made fur outfit and beaded mittens; the guy has a carved wood face and hand-stitched fur outfit. I love the expression of terror....
    dolls2.jpg

terrified.jpg

antidiem and kentworld like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted