Featured Inuit? or Other Northern Peoples' Hair Ornament

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by KikoBlueEyes, Nov 19, 2019.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

My question is whether this hair ornament made of polished antler is a piece of wearable art or tourist tat. It is a little over 6 inches and is slightly bowed. There is no sign of wear or use. I guessed Inuit because of the clothing but I really have no clue.
    Perhaps @komokwa might want to weigh in but any comments will be appreciated.
    IMG_4412.JPG IMG_4413.JPG IMG_4417.jpg IMG_4409.jpg IMG_4415.jpg IMG_4410.JPG IMG_4411.JPG

2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Looks good to me, never seen anything like this - could it be Lapp as well as Inuit?

3. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you blooey. I was hoping it was something carved for someone to use. We don't get much northern stuff down here is Southern California, but I thought it had charm and function rather than being cranked for passing tourists. I have enough of that kind of stuff, as I am often a tourist. Years ago, I started looking for things made within a culture rather than export.

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I love it, that face really makes me smile. And that jolly posture, a little dancer maybe? The material looks like deer antler, or something similar.
    Maybe Arctic Siberia, with that long dress? Chukchi and related peoples?

kyratango, judy, i need help and 2 others like this.
  5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

It's a lovely piece of folk art whether sold as tourist art or not. You can tell it has a load of heart.

Interestingly, when I was running the west coast 30 years ago, I turned up quite a bit of "Northern stuff" in the Bay area flea markets, especially around Bezerkely.:hilarious:

kyratango, judy, i need help and 2 others like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

not something I'm terribly familiar with......
    but not Inuit....so I'd look at an Alaskan Eskimo early tourist item made for the influx of white visitors circa early 1900's....

upload_2019-11-19_12-48-37.jpeg

7. komokwa

8. komokwa

Bronwen, KikoBlueEyes and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

No idea, but I'd wear that!

kyratango and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  10. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I'm a little concerned that OP's item looks so much like Komo's third item.
    Recently, or for the last 30 years, take your pick, there has been a thriving cottage industry in Indonesia, and hairpin-type items with "native" imagery are one of their specialties. Hand carved from local bovine bone, stained with tea, they look a whole lot like OP's…..I'll see if I can find a current example of this type in one of the import catalogs.

11. komokwa

your concern is justified , what with all the bone carvings we see out there from the last 10 years to late last Friday !!
    & with the pic I found from 2016.....to see a copy show up here 3 years later.....that's no stretch...

12. komokwa

& ya....the staining looks forced....

KikoBlueEyes and all_fakes like this.
  13. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

14. KikoBlueEyes

She made me smile too. Thanks for the search terms. While I don't think this is a unique thing, I'm hopeful that it isn't a mass created product. As always, I appreciate your answers.

kyratango, Any Jewelry and blooey like this.
  15. KikoBlueEyes

Thanks so much for this Blooey. I have brought things from the North as part of my cherished items, so when I die they will sift out into the Southern California market.

kyratango and blooey like this.
  16. KikoBlueEyes

Komo. You are terrrific for finding this source. I'm sorry I posted and ran, and hadn't seen your response until now. I so appreciate the search terms. I had no idea where to start. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

17. KikoBlueEyes

Thanks for asking him. Maybe he can add something.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    komokwa and blooey like this.
  18. KikoBlueEyes

Evelyn. How thoughtful for you to say that. I have baby fine hair, so it would just flop out of mine.

komokwa and blooey like this.
  19. KikoBlueEyes

All fakes. Thanks so much for checking. I presume it was antler because there are a lot of antlers lying around up North to make things from, and because the edge on the back top looks like unfinished antler. But this certainly could be bone stained by tea. It is highly polished, whatever it is. I appreciate your thoughts and insights.

Any Jewelry, komokwa and blooey like this.
  20. KikoBlueEyes

Komo. I appreciate that you can see both sides of this. It's funny about how this works. When I was in China, people complained about cheap Korean goods. When I posted this, I was looking for clues on how to assess such things if I was lucky enough to run across something of real interest. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted