Featured Inventary of my roof tiles collection

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lecollectionneur, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Lecollectionneur

Lecollectionneur Well-Known Member

After a discussion on another post, and as it's needed for many reasons, I decide to make pictures from my tiles, those are the less rare and interesting, the most curious ones come later.
    Be careful if you have a slow connection, on my website they are in 4000 px wide for reading comfort.
    The link to my inventory page.
    And a picture for showing you if you can have some interested for those items.
    [​IMG]
    The legend is : Bussigny(where was the factory) 10 february 1914, first fly over the mountain Mont-Blanc by the pilot Parmelin.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I love them, Lecollect.
    The reference to historic events is special, but the folk art stars and the animal paw prints have more appeal to a novice like myself.

3. Lecollectionneur

My wife who is a cat lover says that the cat tile is the best one…
    On the next tiles I have to photography are handwritten made at the beginning of the 20th century to commemorate the first flights over the mountains, this one was produced at multiples, letters are made directly in the mold, but nobody can see them without dismantling the roof, there is a thing nobody makes now outside for example when I make a copy of a complicate lock and let inside something for the guy who repair it in hundred years, you can't found that in a iPhone…:bored:
    Things have changed for hand workers compared to past time it was not only your hand but your spirit you want to be conserved trough the time.

4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    When I was working at the church restoration we needed a new slate roof. I sold hundreds of slates with peoples names and messages written on the back of the new slates. It was just a fund raiser but we sold 10 grand worth.
    greg

5. Lecollectionneur

This was subscription tiles, you pay to have your name under a tile, a sort of sponsoring in a modern language but not used since a long time.
    They are now made with laser writing…

6. Any Jewelry

It is my favourite, it is so sweet. But I am biased, I'm also a cat lover.:cat:
    Wonderful!
    Exactly! And that is why I love true antiques, the maker speaks to you.

kyratango and i need help like this.
  7. Lecollectionneur

This tile is a perfect example of a man proud of what it makes, on a top roof tile(fixed with two nails on the wood), he wrote his name and the date, only birds and God(at the time it was certainly part of the idea) can see that.
    Jean Curchod - a current name here
    Briquetier - the man who works with red clay
    [​IMG]

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Lecollectionneur you have some gorgeous images in your living pictures gallery!!!!!!!!:singing::singing::singing::singing::singing::):):):)

9. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    You remind me so much of a friend of mine. He collects bricks, he has so many I enjoy the ones with the makers initials. He found me one that was marked M and P
    and J. I gave it to friends who were getting married Marcus and Pamela J was his last name. it was made 1850 to 1855. Everyone thought it was a wonderful present.
    greg

10. Lecollectionneur

With those pairs of initials it can come from a commemoration before a wedding, certainly not the maker who only put his name or initials but not a pair, in Alps you found a lot of items in folk art tradition with the initials of the two before wedding.
    And it's an unique piece at 95%, your friends are really very lucky to have them with the good initials, it's a rarity in the antique business.
    @ Aquitaine, thanks a lot for your appreciation, they are made to give pleasure and satisfaction.

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

And they certainly do that, they are beautiful.

kyratango and Lecollectionneur like this.
  12. Lecollectionneur

I've not made the pictures but put a PDF made a long time ago(it was with mac Os 10.4…), you can take it at the end of the page linked at the beginning but it's in french.

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Some of us read French.:)
    Don't ask me to speak or write it, it has been decades since I last did, but reading is still ok.

14. Lecollectionneur

If it's some people interested I can translate that for the forum.

Draft saved Draft deleted