Featured Irish eyes please!

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Chris Mount, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Chris Mount

Chris Mount Getting there

Hi all I know I know I cant get any better picture of the back of these earrings from Ireland does the hallmark look familiar to anyone don't think they are that old but you never know can see the 925 but the rest is tough maybe a crown tried a loupe just can't see it also does the style represent anything chris 15103855749320.jpg 15103855749871.jpg 15103855750512.jpg 15103855938893.jpg

Christmasjoy, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. persona-non-gratin

persona-non-gratin Well-Known Member

Can't help with the silver mark but the heart, hands and crown is an Ulster Loyalist symbol.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Will Dutch eyes do?;)

These are Claddagh earrings, like the Irish Claddagh rings. Claddagh rings are the Irish version of traditional European friendship and love tokens, and also one of the symbols of Irish around the world.
    The hands symbolize friendship, the heart love, and the crown loyalty.
    The pictures are too blurred for me to read the marks, one of them could be the Hibernia duty mark for Ireland.
    The value for these earrings is the same as for other silver Claddagh earrings, so I wouldn't fuss too much about marks.
    Here are some Irish marks, second from the right is Hibernia:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Basic claddagh earrings with poor casting and finish.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's absolutely not Ulster Loyalist. I think you're thinking of the red hand of Ulster.

It is a claddagh, indeed, which is an ancient Irish symbol. Unionists would never wear the claddagh. And of course, it says made in Ireland, rather than having UK hallmarks.

6. Reamonnt

Reamonnt New Member

Claddagh is an old fishing village outside of Galway city (its part of it these days) Galway is a county from which many people emigrated to the USA to places like Boston in particular. A great gift for your Irish American relations.

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Reamonnt.
    It would have to be Irish Australian in this case, Chris is in Australia.:)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. Reamonnt

Reamonnt New Member

Sorry I always associate it with Irish-America but its worn worldwide and is a nice keepsake from a trip to the emerald isle. Im thinking of the ring but of course there is a whole range these days.

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Chris Mount

Chris Mount Getting there

thanks for the info reamonnt I just love these and how they have made in Ireland stamped on the back with pride and to make sure everyone knows chris

Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted