Featured is a watch considered jewelry?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Phaik Hooi, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Phaik Hooi

Phaik Hooi Well-Known Member

dear all

..... and the answer is yes if there is a chain and a fob to go with it? :D
    anyway, could not find this exact titus pocket watch. just would like to know model year. i spotted some that looked similar but they didn't have a date window. apologies for not posting any insides photo because i have no idea how to nor do i have the tools to open it.

the gold chain is made by a local goldsmith whose company name, in chinese, is printed on the little bar thing. according to my friend, it was in operation in the 1960s? did a search for the shop but i think it is no longer around.

but the fob (learnt this word cos of an earlier thread! great forum full of information :happy:), i think may be gold plated/painted? cos very light. does anyone know who the guy is suppose to be?

regards
    phaik hooi

titus pocket watch2.jpg titus pocket watch1.jpg titus pocket watch3.jpg pocket watch chain1.jpg pocket watch fob3.jpg pocket watch fob2.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Phaik, it is beautiful.
    I've seen the little guy before, without the compass, but can't remember where. Maybe someone else will. The needle can probably be put in place by a jeweler or watch maker.

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, here in the US, pocket watches were back in vogue during the 1980s. My son asked for one in the 1990s.

I think the watch may be later than the 1960s.
    I might be wrong. Going on memory. Know I've seen that brand before.

Phaik Hooi and Joshua Brown like this.
  4. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I'd place the watch in the 60s.
    I think the company became Solvil & Titus later, but this is just off the top of my head, not researched. Opening the back of the watch should be pretty easy with a knife in the tiny lip, and should reveal the metal content of the case. (Stamped inside the back cover.)

Value will depend on the amount and carat of the gold involved.

5. Phaik Hooi

hahaha i cannot find him anywhere :facepalm::D

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. Phaik Hooi

thought maybe since it has "swiss made", that it will be before the hong kong shift. perhaps i need to email titus swiss? are they still around?

7. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I do not think any further details would help you, it is simply a decent quality modernish watch whose value lies in its utility and any precious metal content.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Phaik Hooi

okie dokie. tq :)

Draft saved Draft deleted